Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Posted 13 hours ago

Need correct in car charger for wireless charging mount

Hi, hoping for some help, i bought the esr halolock wireless charging mount for my new s24 ultra, pictured below, it doesn't come with the ppwer supply just a lead labled DC 9V2A, i had assumed i could just use my existing in car charger that plugs into my 12v socket and is capable of fast charging my s23 so im assuming it supplies 25w to my phone.

Anyway the new wireless charging mount had a slip attached to it stating, you must use 9v2a or 12v2a charger, do not use 5v charger.
I tried searching Amazon for a 9v and 12v 2a charger but they just say wattage, for example 36w qc3 charger.
Im not clued up on electronics and power, are all in car chargers 12v as they go into a 12v socket ?
Im hoping my existing one can work or i can find out the correct watts to buy ?
Thanks, Mark
4286465-5xsOH.jpg
Community Updates
New Comment

6 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Google suggests a car cigarette power point is 12 volts DC, I'm assuming that's where you are plugging the wireless charger in? If so I can't see a problem.

Edit- I understand what you're saying now, can't you just plug it into the cars USB point?

So go on Amazon if you don't have a car USB point and just order an adaptor that plugs into the cigarette point they all list what phones they support and get the one with a good wattage, also consider how they all light up as this maybe annoying, I think you're over thinking this, don't worry it'll be fine. (edited)
    Author
    Yes i already have a car adaptor that plugs in but after rrading up, i think it needs to be a certain amount of watts for it to have enough power to then transfer 15w wirelessly to the phone, from reading online its volt x amp so 12x2= 24w minimum i need
    'Chargers' in this context are power supplies. They take the power from the vehicle socket and transform it into a different voltage.

So all of the ones that go into the socket should accept the voltage range that a car's sockets will output. While that's nominally 12V it varies over a fairly wide range from sub-10V to 14-15v.

It's unusual for a device to accept two different but close voltages but the specific two you state along with the mention of a 'qc3' device suggests we're dealing with USB.

The way USB works is that 5V is the default and is supported by everything but there are optional extensions that can be implemented by devices and power supplies that allow them to negotiate a change in voltage after the initial connection is established. A higher voltage allows more power to be delivered.

The main official extension for this is called USB Power Delivery (USB-PD) but there are also third party ones like Qualcomm QuickCharge.

USB-PD's requires specific voltages to be supported above specific power levels (watts) so any USB-PD power supply above 18W will support 9V@2A.
    Author
    Great info thank you, i appreciate thelong informative reply