Posted 19 July 2023

Netflix Removes Cheapest Ad-Free Plan In U.K. and U.S.

Netflix and more bills :/

Netflix ‘Basic’ tier previously allowed users to watch all the movies and TV shows on the streaming platform in standard definition, without adverts, for just $9.99 (£10.99) a month. Now, it looks as though users will be forced to either sit through ads to keep their costs down or pay for a more expensive streaming plan.

Previous announcements here Netflix's ad-supported tier will launch 3rd November 4pm GMT (in 12 Countries including the UK)

Users can no longer sign up for the ‘Basic’ plan, either for new users or users rejoining the plan. However, those who are currently subscribed can keep the plan until they either switch plans or cancel their account.

At the moment, the cheapest ad-free option is Netflix’s ‘Standard’ plan at $15.49 (£10.99) a month, which allows two simultaneous streams. However, if users opt for the ‘Premium’ plan at $19.99 (£15.99) a month, they can enjoy four simultaneous streams as well as films and TV shows in 4K Ultra HD and HDR.

Unfortunately, users trying to keep their streaming bills low have just one option. Signing up to ‘Standard With Ads’ will cost users just $6.99 (£4.99) a month but the service is fairly no-frills compared to the others. You can’t download films and TV episodes to your device, and it does mean sitting through adverts while you watch

Netflix Plans here

Source
Community Updates
New Comment

28 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Shame as I still don't agree with paying for a service like this and getting adverts on something I'm paying for.

I'm also sick of the emails I get from Netflix telling me to rejoin as it's the "best £4.99 you'll spend this month", I've unsubscribed like 50+ times but I still get them. (edited)
    Next time you sign up for something, use a disposable email service, like Iron Vest, or the paid version of Bitwarden. Then you can just turn off the address and never be bothered again
    I pay £6.99 a month for mine ad free. Its only 1 screen plan. Been with Netflix years not had an email to say its increasing
    That’s plan will be staying the same I believe, just not available fir new users (edited)
    Been paying £2-£4 for the 4k plan via turkey for over 3 years.. long live turkey!
    Do you know if they will restrict password sharing on turkey plan??
    I'm happy with the ad supported plan, a lot of good entertainment for £1.25 per week.
    Author
    Each to their own, and of course, i respect that
    Keep getting these beggy little emails from them since i cancelled.

50617810-CIy6f.jpg
    Author
    The cry emoji
    4k Premium - paid £4 last month on my Turkish plan.
    Best thing to do would be buy the ad plan then watch on a laptop/pc with an adblocker
    Sky Stream give a free month including Netflix. I canceled before the month ran out (5 minute phone call) and they haven't cancelled or charged me and I'm in month 2 now. Small wins.
    Is there anything decent on there to watch anyway lately? Went back after a years absence for a month in march and ran out of anything to watch within a week.
    Has anyone subscribed to the cheaper netflix with adverts.
    If so, how many ad breaks in an hour show like Better Called Saul?

Just deciding whether to sign up for cheap version

Thanks in advance
    Looks like those on this current package will be forced to move or leave.

In its Q4 2023 earnings report from earlier today, Netflix announced that starting in Q2 2024, its cheapest ad-free "Basic" plan will be completely gone in Canada and the UK. You haven’t been able to sign up for this tier since last July, but now, even current subscribers will no longer be able to keep their 'Basic' plan, which was originally $10 or £7 per month but bumped up to $12 or £8 in October. In other words, you'll basically be forced into one of the two more expensive ad-free packages (from $16.49 or £11 per month) or the cheaper ad-supported plan ($6 or £5 per month).

engadget.com/net…tml
's avatar