Posted 20 February 2023

Octopus Energy charging thousands of customers just 0.1% of their actual gas bill in error

The good news is, Octopus energy customers won't have to pay it back

Information below. For the full article, see footer of thread.

The provider said they have benefited from the error, as a result of the type of meter they have installed.

One customer, Adam, shared the email he received from Octopus which said: “We’ve realised, due to an obscure technical issue, we’ve been unintentionally giving you a 99.9 per cent discount on your gas.

“We’ve fixed the issue – something to do with “reading factors and “unit flags” that meant we only billed a tiny fraction of the gas you’d actually used – but thought you should know because your future bills will be accurate.”

Octopus said the error related to customers with old gas meters which run with imperial measurements rather than metric ones – causing a temporary system error.

The mistake covered a period of a few months over winter and up to the most recent bill before the email it sent out last week. It will honour the discount up to the last time the affected customer was billed. The error did not affect electricity bills.

4090019_1.jpg
An Octopus Energy spokesperson said: “We spotted a system error affecting a very small group of customers with older gas meters which still used imperial measurements.

“The customers in question got a 99 per cent discount on their gas usage for a short period of time over winter, which we have honoured up to their latest bill. Customers don’t need to worry, the error is now fixed and all those affected have already been contacted.”

However, it has suggested that people who have not received this email should not ring up Octopus to see if they have also got the discount as those affected will have been contacted directly.

Full story / Credit inews
Community Updates
New Comment

22 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Had an email off Octopus energy telling me my meter has reached the end of its life and they will have to replace with smart meter because nobody makes old style meters anymore??
    Hi, I’m with Shell energy, they emailed and text me a few times saying the same thing. Yet to arrange it yet tho. Can’t see how it’s at the end of its life as still working.
    Wonder what kind of bills these customers were getting , that would have been circa 70p a month to me before recent hikes
    The same people who have been getting unusually low bills will now start complaining about rip off energy companies when they see the real bill. Bigger problem if they have already spent the money thinking that is the real bill.
's avatar