Posted 25 October 2023

Safest way to sell a phone online

Is ebay safe to sell a phone on? What precautions do you take or is there a better way to sell a phone for best value?

Typically, I buy a phone, use it for a few years and then store it in a drawer somewhere but recently my wife was adamant to try iOS..she didn't like it so now I have a virtually new iPhone sitting around because I'm too scared to sell it online, and don't want to take a massive bit by going to one of them cash exchange types of shops.

Would really appreciate some reassurance or suggestions for how to get it sold as safely as possible.

Thanks all
Community Updates
New Comment

11 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    You could also try listing it on gumtree but state it is collection only.
    Music Magpie have kiosks in certain ASDAs that do all the checks there and then and payment is sent in an hour or 2 (mine took 20 mins).
    I was going to do this with my iPhone, but if I’ve reset the phone how can I scan the qr code?
    I always trade mine in, some offer free collection as well. Much less hassle, albeit you'l get less ££

comparemymobile.com
    What phone is it? Facebook Market place is usually the best place to sell, just don't post it, and get payment in cash or instant bank transfer
    Author
    Iphone 14

To be fair I never thought about Facebook marketplace. I have an account but not one I've used for a while, but will probably try that!
    Every phone I have sold has been on Ebay. Never had a problem. I would make a point of saying I have a record of the IMEI numbers though.
    Author
    Thanks for the reassurance. I might put it on there. I don't want to sell it for trade value as I'd rather just keep it so I'll see how I do on ebay and fb marketplace
    Is ebay safe to sell a phone on?

Just search, ebay scam...
's avatar