Posted 5 May 2023

Sim Only For Emergency / Light User

I am struggling to workout which is the best sim for an elderly person as a light user. Use to use 1p mobile but then got a free Sky sim for 12 months. They do go abroad once a year but most calls are via whatsapp on wifi. I don't really want to be doing the port dance every 3 to six months. They only make a couple of calls a week. Any suggestions welcome Thank you
Community Updates
New Comment

17 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Have a look at RWG mobile they do one/two year Sims with the option of roaming or not.
    rwgmobile.wales/rat…er/
    Starts at £20 for a year without roaming if they can manage as you say using WiFi for WhatsApp calls.
    50119739-611qg.jpg50119739-DFJWX.jpgScreenshots above show a couple of their options
    I moved from Lebara to RWG (2 year 2GB/250m/250t pm for £35) 6 weeks ago and it's all good. (edited)
    I use 1p mobile still great deal im. Inc roaming calls at same price most destinations abroad still (edited)
    Author
    Thanks but last time they never used the £10 a quarter top up so was looking for something that may last longer
    Get an o2 Classic PAYG SIM. You can’t get them from o2 direct anymore but eBay sellers have loads of them for £1 or less sealed in packaging.

1p a megabyte, 2p a text, 3p a minute to call. Credit doesn’t expire as long as you make a call at least once every 180 days.

If their usage is heavy enough to not make that competitive then Vectone Mobile use EE and have a £2.99 a month rolling contract with 150 minute, 150 texts and 1GB Data. EU Roaming is all standard UK rate too - I’ve had family members with these for years and have one of my own old rarely used numbers on this contract too.

This does work out worse value than the RWG offer someone else has mentioned. But having tried RWG myself recently I really couldn’t recommend them to anyone.
    What was the issue with RWG ?
    Id check the Ofcom mobile availability checker to see who's got the best signal around their area as well...

checker.ofcom.org.uk/en-…age

and scroll down to the map view option at the bottom.

Just had to change my elderly customers (the inlaws) away from EE to O2 as the EE signal has badly deteriorated in their area......
    Is the Sky SIM definitely reverting to a chargeable tariff after 12 months?

I've been on a Free SIM for 2.5 years now and still going. They do advise via email annually that I can changey tariff to the same plan for a monthly fee but the account remains free.
    Mine was indefinitely but it increased to a £1. Still a bargain though. Is your’s still free? Been on it for two years.
's avatar