Posted 7 July 2022

Tenda nova MW5 as Bridge, not connected to router

Morning!

Currently trialling the VM hub 5 and as such can't use any kind of mesh system.
My PC doesn't have WiFi built in and was connected to a MW5 via ethernet.

Hoping to save a few pennies, does anyone know whether its possible to get this MW5 to act as a bridge using the VM WiFi?
Community Updates
New Comment

3 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Should be possible, I was using mine this way as I'm with Sky where you can't switch the router into modem-only mode which I believe is the same for VM.

You would turn off the wifi on VM and set the MW5 system to Access Point / Bridge mode*. Then plug one into the VM router and the other remains connected to your PC.

(* I can't remember how to do this, I sent mine back due to them being crap and not maintaining a stable connection, dropping on Teams calls etc but may not be an issue for you)
    Author
    I'm trying to avoid plugging it into the VM hub. I did have it working with just the one nova connected to the pc, however when I swapped the hub over it stopped working.
    My VM Hub 5 has been running in Modem Mode with my Google WiFi mesh plugged in since the day It arrived months ago.
    Stick it in Modem mode and you can plug whatever router you want in to it. I believe only one ethernet port will work in Modem mode though, Port 1 I believe.

Go for a mesh with an extra Ethernet port in it and then you can connect your Wired PC as well (even better plug a cheap 1gb swithc in for some spare ehternet ports. (edited)
's avatar