Posted 8 March 2011

Washing machine not using fabric conditioner

I bought a new Samsung washing machine in December.

All working fine up until a few weeks ago where it has stopped taking the fabric conditioner from the detergent drawer - once the wash is finished and I check the detergent drawer, the washing powder is gone but the fabric conditioner is still there.

Anyone had a similar experience with a Samsung (or other brand) washing machine?

Anything I can check myself or will I need to refer to Samsung to investigate/repair?
Community Updates
New Comment

20 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    when it happens on my machine it's because powder has clogged up the channel rather than the programme forgetting to woosh water to that section. Have a poke around when you've pulled the drawer out. If it is the programme malfunctioning does it do it on all the different washes?
    generaloneill

Pour it in the drum / end thread.

No that doesnt work as you need it at the end of the cycle

Pour it in the drum / end thread.
    happened to me on loads of machines, pull out the drawer and give it a good clean out other than that I used to pour it in the washing powder section near end of cycle but obv you gotta be there to do that.
    I don't use fabric conditioner, never had a problem and things are still soft and fresh when using Persil or Ariel.
    Maybe you could buy Bold or one of the 2 in 1 washing products.
    ring were ever u got it from if its brand new u shouldnt have to stop using fabric conditioner they should get some one to fix it
    usually down to the syphon tube that 'sucks' the conditioner up and into the machine is probably clogged. As said before, flush out as much of the drawer as possible, and if you can disemble the syphon and clean it out with a cotton bud.
    Hi, I Had the same problem only two weeks ago, pulled the out draw, give it a good clean, I then got a toothbrush and a little bit of bleach and scrubbed the tiny little holes above where the fabric condition box is when the draw is in and from then on it has worked fine also changed my conditioner to a less thick one. Hope this helps.
    (edited)
    Author
    Thanks for the replies.

I removed the detergent drawer and thoroughly cleaned it - tbh, it looked fine with no obvious faults.

However, when I looked inside the space where the drawer goes, there appears to be a blockage - see pictures - but I'm not 100% sure if it is a blockage or some kind of 'bung' that should be there.

The reason for saying this is because it feels like a mesh kind of material and definitely not something that would have accumulated after normal clothes washing.

From the pictures, does it look like it is blocking the syphon tube mentioned by jelli89?

[image missing]

[image missing]

[image missing]

To be honest - that type of 'foam' is usually intended as a filter - i don't think that is the problem. Very clear photos - do you have one of the actual dispenser drawer?
    Author
    jelli89

To be honest - that type of 'foam' is usually intended as a filter - i … To be honest - that type of 'foam' is usually intended as a filter - i don't think that is the problem. Very clear photos - do you have one of the actual dispenser drawer?

Appreciate the reply.

I must admit, I didn't think the 'foam' was the problem as it appeared as if it was there by design/

I can take some pics of the drawer, no problem.

Any particular angle you need?

(Must admit, I too was impressed with the clarity of the photos.)
    All those little incoming holes at the top need to be clear (although the whole lot looks spotless)
    Do a complete cycle with a cup on white vinegar in it, that get rid of any residual conditioner.
    Author
    Again, thanks for the replies.

Although I didn't examine the holes, as the pics show, it is like new which is why it's difficult to understand what's causing this.

The machine has only been used a couple of times a week since Jan this year when it was installed so that's about 20 washes.
    HappyShopper

I must admit, I didn't think the 'foam' was the problem as it appeared as … I must admit, I didn't think the 'foam' was the problem as it appeared as if it was there by design/I can take some pics of the drawer, no problem.Any particular angle you need?

Just an over head view that gets all of the drawer in should be fine. I don't think it would do any harm just to wiggle the bit of foam out and rinse it through and then replace it
    Author
    Thanks for the reply - pics below.

Am a little bit reluctant to remove the foam as it is difficult to grip so am worried I'll struggle to re-insert it. However, it does look like it is (very) clean.

Let me know if any possible solutions come to mind otherwise I'll call out an engineer.

[image missing]

[image missing]

Sounds like a fault to be honest, I wouldn't pull out that filter.
    will the blue part 'disemble'? - the instruction manual should be able to confirm this. If it does - flush it through or see if anything is blocking the flow. Apart from that, my personal experience has run dry All the parts you have shown pics of are so new and clean though, it's prob best to go down the engineer route - too much prodding about may invalidate the guarantee...hope the problem gets resolved
    Author
    Yes, the blue part pops out and I gave it a good wash along with the drawer yesterday.

I can't thank you (and the other posters) enough for your time and patience in trying to help.

I'll get onto an engineer tomorrow.

BTW, do I call Samsung or the retailer (Best Buy)?
's avatar