Posted 10 January 2024

What is the best toilet paper to minimise risk of blocked drains?

Just had a second toilet paper blockage in the last 13 months in the drain to the sewer. Not sure why as we have had no problems in the previous 25 years.
We normally use the cheapest Lidl/Aldi rolls which i believe are 2-ply. Has anyone recommendations for alternatives?
At this rate I will need to install a bidet or ration family members to 4 sheets per visit.
TIA
Community Updates
New Comment

16 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Have you had a camera survey? Drain starting to collapse? Or something non biodegradable partly blocking? We recently had our drain to sewer connection filmed as part of a planning process and found the top of the old clay pipe fractured and begininning to fall in.
    Roots growing through cracks in the pipes is another common problem.
    Are you sure it's bog roll doing it? Just throwing this out there, but the last time I had a severe sink blockage was because of accumulated coffee grounds- and I know someone who had their drain to the sewer blocked by the same thing.

(I dry them out now and put them in the food waste bin)
    my coffee grounds get mixed with pepper, sprinkled around which deters the cats
    I used to use 2 ply Lidl toilet roll in the Caravan portaloo as it breaks up fairly easy , so I don't think the type of loo roll is the issue. We recently had a teenage Granddaughter stay at our home and she was blocking the loo by using a load of paper in one go .
    We use Costco's own which we have found the best. Unfortunately, my wife has taken to using copious amounts (maybe 7 sheets) just for a wee. She then doesn't flush to save water, so it can be 3 lots before flushing.

Over Christmas we had slow toilets and I found a 3 foot level of "waste" under the manhole. The cause was definitely the toilet paper. Fortunately I had a drain cleaner for my power washer which did the trick.
    My drains are blocked and homeserve are blaming the flat fitted pipe what are on roof. Had house for 3 years and never had issues until now
    They came out the other day and used jet and water came out of toilet and went on walls!! Iv told them to come back with rods

Its depressing
    Local waterboard looked at ours with camera for free. It is shared with neighbours so free survey. If you got trouble it won't get better so worth getting looked at even if you have to pay.

We use Tesco luxury double rolls or Asda shades as a good roll and sensible money (edited)
    Oddly enough I was looking at this the other day, but haven't got anywhere yet.

Similar situation, one of our loos blocks frequently as it's a sharp 90 degree bend with nothing flushing past it, so things clog.

There are a few options out there that claim to be quick dissolving paper which from what I gather, would help solve the problem.
    google.com/sea…+uk

If they will pass the "wife" test or not will be another matter.
    I'll come back and update if I get anywhere.
    I doubt it's a paper issue - more likely a cracked pipe or something else causing the blockage...
    I use asda shades .
    note that with a bidet, you will still need to use loo roll, to dry access water .

also, do you happen to know if you have a neighbour, with a new born child, or toddler?

I used to have a neighbour, who would flush nappies, and I guess people seen me as an easy target, because I would get the blame
    Use water...just saying
    You have had no problems for 25 years and now twice in 13 months. It's absolutely nothing to do with the toilet paper - given in particular they paper your using. You need to find the source and clear it. Without doing that I suspect in time it will block over and over - no matter what you put down or don't put down. These things only get worse unless your solve the route problem
    Author
    many thanks for the comments.
    it was definitely a bog roll plug bunging up the trap at the end of my drain into the lateral drain which runs into the main sewer. i had a proper drain cleaning company come and clear it.
    maybe there is a restriction for flow in the line downstream of my trap. The road was recently resurfaced and maybe the heavy machinary has caused some disruption. I believe I am responsible for drains on my property and its less than a metre to the boundary from the trap, so i might give the water company a ring and see if they can inspect.
    i do find that the cheaper brands of toilet paper will cause a blockage so i tend to avoid them. i use andrex or regina impressions.
's avatar