Posted 5 June 2023

What kind of window kit do i need for a portable air conditioner?

Hey y'all,

After having lived in Canada, we've recently moved the to UK and the windows are super weird here for us I must say. Looks like there are no window type ACs here and no dual hose more efficient portable ACs too. I only found single hose utterly inefficient models. However, I have no idea how I can seal our window. Could you take a look at the photos and tell me how to do it?

Thanks

edit: This might be the best solution I found so far;

Window seal kit for portable air conditioner or tumble dryer: 150/125/100mm hose | eBay

4145872_1.jpg4145872_1.jpg4145872_1.jpg
Community Updates
New Comment

19 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    I live in UK all my life and find so many thing about it, backwards. From house builds to regulations,etc. I gave up on getting air conditioning for my room for same reasons as you. Stupid window design and single hose portable AC.
    Look forward to hearing a success story here. Good hunting
    excuse me but the 3 pin plug is one of the best inventions ever made.
    Do you have the right to drill holes in your wall? You could vent through a tube to the outside world.
    Or get a room mounted vent with the conditioner fan mounted outside. Although they can be pricey
    Author
    I gotta ask for it, probably they won't allow it but have no idea
    Do tell me too, if you find a viable solution. I can’t find any other option apart from below
    1- either get custom installation done for hoses of potable A/C in rooms I need.

2- or get Split AC installed in rooms

Don’t know the cost of option 1 but it will be cheaper than split ac installation I assume.

Then I think it’s too much faff for 7-10 hot days in year , my house is usually cold with good cross ventilation.
    Author
    Our flat gets lots of sunlight and already becoming hotter during the day if we don't draw the curtains.
    I bought one of Argos, it’s just Velcro tape and a sheet with a hole in but it worked and it was the best I could find.
    Author
    In that case i need to find a kit that covers the whole window, openings are from both sides.
    I have this exact one:
    amazon.co.uk/gp/…72G

It works on windows that open either in or out. Comes with some velcro tape you stick on the window frame and then attach the seal. Close the zipper around the exhaust pipe for the AC unit and it seals it all up to stop hot air from outside rushing back in.
    Author
    I'd like to cover the whole window frame since there are gaps on both side when i open the window.
    There are wall unit type in UK. But I never seen one being installed domestically here.
    Author
    These are the best ones by far. My parents and my sister have been using this type of ACs for the last 3 decades but i don’t know if landlord will allow me to install one. Also, the installation costs for these are süper absurd here.
    ive seen people just knock up a piece of perspex with a vent in it. then connect the hose to the vent. when you open one window youve basically got a rectangle hole to work with. any half decent handy man could probably make you one or DIY it. youve got a nice flat edge around your window to seal against too. perspex (acrylic) isnt too expensive.
    Author
    These things, right? 

plasticsheetsshop.co.uk/the…al/

looks neat and must be sturdy depending on the thickness. Any recommendation for it?
    I've seen through window aircons for sale on UK sites, although I'm not too sure they'd be practical on non-sash windows, here's one airconcentre.co.uk/pro…BwE

You can also get portable split air conditioners, but they're very expensive, not really that portable because of the stiffness of the umbilical, a faff to take in and out to lock up the window when you leave the house, awkward to store and I'd wonder how long before the tubes in the umbilical leak. This one is just over £1,000 nationalheatershops.co.uk/p/p…er/

The one I've seen/used in an office was supplied in two parts with a one time plug. I've also seen some cheaper self install split units that connect like that, I believe you vent some of the (butane/propane) refrigerant to purge the air. Not sure if they are still legal.

You can get all in one units, but those need two vent holes drilled through the wall and not cheap, so not an option in a rented place, unless you could sit it in front of a large window with a sheet of perspex behind. This one doubles as a heater: appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/i…ner (edited)
's avatar