Posted 7 January 2017

Who makes the best value for money sofas? Are Harveys or dfs any good?

So many TV adverts and the prices look good (under 400 for a 3 seater) but are these to be avoided?
Community Updates
New Comment

22 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Winterland

Had our 3 seater,2 seater sofabed and ottoman from DFS for 6 years now, … Had our 3 seater,2 seater sofabed and ottoman from DFS for 6 years now, with absolutely no problems Cost £1000 in sale for it all.

Well fone for finding a time that DFS had a sale on! (edited)
    You will not get a long lasting sofa for under 400, you need to scrutinise the warranties offered to keep yourself covered.
    My last 2 sofa suites from DFS have been carp, their customer service has been ok though and they have sent engineers out to solve every issue so can't fault them there but we're going to get a new suite in the next few weeks and have decided we won't be going back to DFS
    Youd be better getting a decent second hand one. A £400 one from DFS etc will probably be all foam and no substance.

I have bought 2 sets of second hand settees from ebay in perfect condition for £100 a set and they are still going strong after 10 years.
    Had our 3 seater,2 seater sofabed and ottoman from DFS for 6 years now, with absolutely no problems Cost £1000 in sale for it all.

(edited)
    Avoid DFS. We had the full protection, our grey sofa's have now turned cream all over in 3 years. Doesn't make sense for the whole thing to discolour so I assume it's poor dye.

Sofa split on one side and the padding had also gone flat, they came out and said it's not covered as it's wear and tear and left.

At least I was lucky enough to get the sofa in a sale though and didn't pay full price...
    I had sofas from DFS - wouldn't recommend them. My current ones are from Harveys and seem far better.
    Not sure of your location but you'll get Sterling Furniture sofas well within that price range as they are mostly discontinued, damaged or customer returns in their warehouse sales. Got 2 leather 3 seaters for £500+£25 delivery at one a few years ago and they've been used and abused by the kids every day since and still look as good as new (after wiping all the yoghurt and hoovering the crisps up!!)
    Dfs Definitely Flat Sofas.
    My sofa looked wrecked after only two weeks from dfs .They have better quality in their showrooms,the ones delivered are missing the padding and quality
    My parents bought an expensive 3 seater leather sofa from dfs, you'd think for the price nothing would happen but the leather discoloured after just a few weeks.
    rtmlk

You will not get a long lasting sofa for under 400, you need to … You will not get a long lasting sofa for under 400, you need to scrutinise the warranties offered to keep yourself covered.

​ikea ektorp will last year's and years and you can just buy new covers for it when it starts looking old.
    We have always bought direct from the manufacturer via sofasofa.co.uk.
    They are always good quality at a very good price.
    My experience with DFS is exactly the same. We bought 3 sofas and had to get two of them replaced and still they did not look the same as they did in the showroom. I cannot fault the customer service as they did change it but every delivery takes 2-3 months and it doesn't seem to be worth it. We are not going back to DFS either.
    Try a local manufacturer and not just a retailer. Some will guarantee their products for 10 years and offer a free refilling of the cushions should they go out of shape... freeindex.co.uk/cat…as/
    Barbarian

We have always bought direct from the manufacturer via … We have always bought direct from the manufacturer via http://www.sofasofa.co.uk.They are always good quality at a very good price.

Have to agree! Got mine from here, over 10 years ago (probably nearer to 16!) and I am only having to replace it now. My daughter left home last year and got hers from them and the customer service is excellent. I was worried about buying without trying but everything was fine.
    I have had 3 settees from sofa sofa. They have been great and cheap!
    Dont go for any of the main advertised sofa sellers.
    They are overpriced to start with, and the sales bring them down to normal (but still high) prices.

If you look on ebay - you can get exactly the same sofas that have come from the same factory, but at half the price that the high street sellers have them (even in the sale)

Example:
    Look at this corner sofa at DFS:
    29776958-VRuhn

You get the corner sofa, a swivel chair and a footstool for £749.00

And that was the first one i looked at - you can probably do even better.
    Dont ever buy from the high street sofa sellers!!

(edited)
    118luke

Dont go for any of the main advertised sofa sellers.They are overpriced … Dont go for any of the main advertised sofa sellers.They are overpriced to start with, and the sales bring them down to normal (but still high) prices.If you look on ebay - you can get exactly the same sofas that have come from the same factory, but at half the price that the high street sellers have them (even in the sale)Example:Look at this corner sofa at DFS:You get the corner sofa, a swivel chair and a footstool for £749.00And that was the first one i looked at - you can probably do even better. Dont ever buy from the high street sofa sellers!!

Wow, didn't know that you can get the same sofas direct from the manufacturer, especially through eBay. I'm assuming that they're the same quality? Thanks for sharing.
    ​If you look carefully they're not exactly the same just really similar.

If you don't mind ex display someone posted a link I think it was S2sofas or something similar. they've got the big brands discounted. I'd post a link but my browser keeps crashing hopefully next time I'm on I'll update if you're interested.
    Sofas
    interesting to hear comments from DFS as we bought sofas from them for the first time in september last year and they were very good quality sofa. they seem fine so far but only time will tell.
    avoid DFS, my sofa started to discolour only after few weeks (edited)
's avatar