Posted 23 September 2023

Advice on FIRM double mattress

I am looking for double Firm support mattress.
Ideally NOT memory foam once cos I tried one and hated it (smell/sweating.
any links/advice or suggestion please! not looking to spend big amount.
Thank you
Community Updates
New Comment

10 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    The reality is that you will spend a third of your time in bed, and should budget accordingly. A good, and possibly expensive, mattress is an investment in your health and well being. It would be better were you to define your budget parameters.
    In these current times, I would expect to pay around £500 for a good mattress, but then I would expect that to last me the same 18 years that my last has, without showing any sign of tiredness. If you threw yourself on that mattress now, you would only bounce once.
    I'd say £500 and 18yrs lifespan for something you spend a third if your life in isn't budgeting accordingly.

Mattresses won't last 18yrs but for a king or super king size I'd be budgeting at least £1000.
    when i was looking for a firm mattress for my brother, i came to the conclusion that pocketed spring mattress were the best for a firm mattress and you need at least 1000 pocket springs. I bought one for my brother from argos, the silentnight 1400 pocket spring. the higher the pocket spring count, the more expensive the mattress is and the better it is.

the 1400 is a decent mattress and since i bought that for my brother, his back pain seems to have disappeared, which is a good result.
    Was going to recommend Amazon's own brand mattress Umi but looks like they don't sell them anymore. Been very impressed with mine.
    Same here.
    I have a Sealy Nostromo Posturepedic Pocket 1400 Latex Mattress. Well whatever was on sale 6 years ago of the same name and look. it’s firm. I really like it
    'Memory foam' is a label that gets applied to a wide range of different foams, so just because you disliked one I wouldn't dismiss all of them.

It's like dismissing velvet because after trying denim because they're both cotton.
's avatar