Posted 11 July 2023

Air conditioning unit - Loft room - recommendations and advice on purchase?

Hi all,

I have a loft which over these past couple of months have been incredibly hot and we've toyed with the idea of getting a proper air conditioning unit (as opposed to a mobile/portable one) for the loft room.

Are there any recommendations of which to buy?
What should i be looking for? power? cool and heat? brand?
Where is recommended to buy a unit only?

Its just the loft room we're looking at getting it installed for. The rooms we have on the first floor seem to be so much cooler and dont need it!

Thanks all!
Community Updates
New Comment

18 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    I have Panasonic Etherea units around the house. Very good, very efficient and very quiet.

Also had a previous generation model in the bedroom at old house and all have served us very well. Useful for supplementary heat in the winter too.

I had mine fitted by Aaron at trutemp.co.uk
    Yep these are the way to go. Had one fitted in a holiday lodge we were in and it was so cold I reckon it would have kept the ice in the drinks from melting if left to close. Brilliant machines.
    I have a loft room and bought a unit myself and had it installed. As many retailers follow the EU regulations requiring details of an f-gas ticket to purchase, you might have difficulty buying the unit yourself, and also finding someone to install it, if you haven't already (most installers I contacted wouldn't do it). You could look for a one man band on the f-gas register/refcom. As for power, there are calculators online to estimate what power you need based on the room size, size of windows etc, but you should choose a more powerful unit than the estimate as a loft room will require more cooling. All the models will be available in various capacities, measured in kW or btu. Almost all units will heat, apart from the very cheapest. Some people will recommend the premium brands e.g. Daikin, Mitsubishi electric. I don't have experience of these but I think any unit with a sufficient capacity will do the job, although the more expensive models should be more efficient and a bit quieter. The higher the SEER/SCOP number, the more efficient the cooling/heating. You can find the most efficient units at topten.eu/pri…n=3. As to the loft room being hotter than the rest of the house, mine is and my installer said his was too. Perhaps more insulation, space foil insulation, solar film/glass on the windows or painting the roof white or with special reflective paint/tiles would improve matters (possibly at the expense of needing more heating during winter), I'd be interested to hear if this is the case, but it would be expensive to find out. If it's hot outside, ventilation wouldn't help, so it would only be beneficial some of the time, mostly at night and often not even then during more frequent "tropical nights". I think solar panels might be worth considering - I have read several claims that they make the building cooler as well as power the air conditioning.
    Have you got a sun blind (attached to the outside of the window and is like a 'mesh') and a blackout blind on the inside? Close both, makes a world of difference. Also, when the downstairs has masses of sun shining in through the windows, draw curtains to keep the heat out or do what I do.. get massive pieces of cardboard from the supermarket (I get mine from lidl- the cardboard is pretty thin and used by them to form a divide between the own brand fizzy drink bottle layers) I use them to block all the sunlight at the back of the house (south facing) until the sun moves across to the other side. Try it. With the assistance of a fan, you'll be a happy chappy.
    Author
    We do have blinds on the inside (although need to replace) and sure we can keep them closed but it would be nice to use the room when needed in the light i think.
    Do appreciate the recommendations though - we do actually do some of them already
    I should have said - a 3.5kw Panny Etherea unit was about £1300 installed for me.
    Author
    do you have the model number?
    Air conditioning will be a pretty expensive way to solve the issue, with high ongoing running costs. I'd leave that as a choice of last resort until you've investigated other avenues.

Why is the loft hotter than the rest of the house? Is the roof poorly insulated with lots of upwards facing glass? Does it have poor ventilation? (edited)
    I agree.
    Heat rises and the reason your 1st floor rooms are cooler is because the heat from them is in the loft room.
    Insulation and ventilation would be a better first choice.
    Mitubishi is better known in ac world but is noiser than LG and Panny units.

LG looks to possibly have wifi connectivity (Can't really see for sure as specs are a bit wooly) and is as quiet as the Panny.
    Author
    appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/e…ner

I ended up purchasing this unit but it hasn’t come with any pipe kits or wall bracket.

Does anyone know a little more detail regarding what pipe kit I might need? I see different pipe sizes(?) and not really too sure!

Thanks
    The installer should have all that on the van.
's avatar