Posted 21 December 2022

DualSense Edge Wireless Controller (PS5) - Can now pre-order, at £209.99

The all-new DualSense Edge Wireless Comtroller, for the PlayStation 5, is now up for pre-order. Will then be sent out late January 2023. Thought i'd pull all the information on it, see below.

You can pre-order here

Get an edge in gameplay by creating your own custom controls to fit your playstyle. Built with high performance and personalisation in mind, the DualSense Edge wireless controller invites you to craft your own unique gaming experience so you can play your way.

youtube.com/wat…68s

Playing is believing when it comes to the DualSense Edge wireless controller for PlayStation 5. I had the opportunity to go hands-on with the ultra-customizable, high-performance controller, trying out multiple interchangeable pieces, on-console controller setting options, and tested everything out across a variety of games. The key takeaway — regardless of your overall experience with customizable controllers designed for precision play, the DualSense Edge controller experience combines premium construction with intuitive user options.

High-quality case

The DualSense Edge controller comes with a sleek and sturdy shell-like case to keep your controller and its accessories safe and organized. One nice touch is the removable flap where the included braided USB charging cable can fit, allowing you to charge the controller while nestled within its case.

4054345-gcUC7.jpg
Familiar form factor

The controller feels immediately familiar since PlayStation engineers set out to match the original DualSense controller’s shape and size. Close inspection of the DualSense Edge controller reveals subtle examples of its premium build quality, such as increased surface area for the grippy white plastic around the handles and extra texture on the touchpad and triggers.

Adjustable trigger length

Players can adjust the length of the triggers with built-in switches for both R2 and L2 buttons. This makes on-the-fly customization easy, without needing to adjust any controller profile settings. One example from my time included jumping from God of War Ragnarök, where I wanted full range of the R2 button, to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II, where clicking into a shorter trigger length helped me shoot faster.

Switchable stick caps

The DualSense Edge controller features three sets of stick caps that make quick customization easy. The two standard caps the same as the DualSense controller’s snappy sticks, while the sets of high and low dome caps offer a satisfying concave feel. I appreciated being able to swap in a high dome cap on the right analog stick, which provided a greater degree of finesse when taking aim in Call of Duty or Apex Legends.

4054345-tpKl0.jpg

Back button versatility

The DualSense Edge controller also features optional back buttons. The lever back buttons offer a longer, flatter form factor that’s quick to activate. The half dome back buttons feature a low profile and precise feel. They open up new options for button configurations, and once I acclimated to the new inputs I felt like a nimble powerhouse. One example includes…

God of War Ragnarök

Assigning the dodge button to the left back button and Kratos’ Leviathan Axe retrieval/elemental attack charging to the right back button let me keep my thumb on the right stick and control the camera during every moment of combat. I reduced the length of the left trigger to speed up aiming ranged attacks but kept the right trigger at default to feel the adaptive triggers’ immersive magic during melee combat. The result was so satisfying I’m already planning my second playthrough of Santa Monica Studio’s stunning sequel after the DualSense Edge controller launches.

4054345-cdtZ9.jpg

Customizable controller profiles

The options for optimizing your playstyle extend beyond the accessories and trigger adjustments to customizable controller profiles. A slick tutorial automatically pops up when you first plug your controller into the PS5 console. Some of the robust additional options include:

Up to 3 profiles stored on the controller itself
Custom button assignments (e.g. to set up an FPS profile, driving profile, action-game profile, etc.)
Stick sensitivity and deadzone tuning
Trigger deadzone tuning
Vibration intensity
Trigger effect intensity
Preset profiles for stick sensitivity
Diverse preset profiles for adjusting stick sensitivity offer a gentle onramp for players who may not want to dive into the deep end of customization out of the gate. Here’s what the system settings described (subject to change):

Quick – The amount of registered input accelerates as you tilt the stick. Good for making quick movements. Gain the upper hand by quickly aiming in fast-paced shooters.

Precise – Minimum input is registered when you tilt the stick. Good for making precise movements. Fans of shooting games may find the ability to aim slowly and accurately helpful.

Steady – Registered input is limited even if you tilt the stick far. Enables smooth and stable movement. Ideal for when you need to move smoothly in action games.

Digital – Tilting the stick even slightly will register nearly maximum input. Functions like the direction buttons on the controller. Get instant input reaction for your fighting and action games

Dynamic – Registered input is limited when you tilt the stick slightly or far but accelerates in the middle range. Enables versatile gameplay in shooting games where you may need to aim carefully but also turn quickly

Function buttons

These two buttons are positioned below the thumb sticks, providing easy access for a DualSense Edge controller-specific menu that pops up whenever pressed, whether in game or in system menus. These buttons make it easy to snap between profiles, adjust headset volume, game/party chat audio balance, and more. The option to quickly jump directly into the controller profile menu after a couple quick button presses is crucial, allowing you to make quick adjustments without disrupting gameplay. The experience reminded me of jumping into edit weapon loadouts while waiting to respawn in Call of Duty. Speaking of…

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II

The function buttons stood out when hopping into a Modern Warfare II match. I immediately realized I had the controller profile still set up for God of War Ragnarök, but thanks to the on-controller trigger switches I quickly adjusted them to a shorter length for snappier aiming and shooting. Following that, I used the function buttons to quickly swap to a profile I set up using the “Quick” preset as a base. I assigned jump to the left back button and crouch/slide to the right back button, letting me smoothly control my movement across the map while keeping my thumbs poised for a firefight. I also swapped the high dome cap in for the right analog stick, providing a greater degree of control while taking aim.

Ultra-Customizable Controls

Changeable stick caps, remappable inputs and custom settings make your DualSense Edge wireless controller uniquely yours. Fine tune your aim by adjusting stick sensitivity and dead zones, set the travel distance of your triggers for faster inputs, and quickly swap between control profiles so you’re always ready for your next game.

Mappable Back Buttons

Swappable back buttons can be configured to many other button inputs, so you’ve always got game-changing actions and essential controls at your fingertips. Plus, with two different styles of button to choose from, you can pick an input type that feels just right for your playstyle.

4054345-lKaVI.jpg
DualSense™ Wireless Controller Features Built In

Enjoy all the immersive features of the DualSense wireless controller and our signature controller comfort. Experience varying force and tension at your fingertips with adaptive triggers, and feel your in-game actions and environment simulated through haptic feedback.*

Replaceable Stick Modules

Play for longer with swappable replacement stick modules available to purchase separately.

*Haptic feedback and adaptive trigger features available when supported by game.

4054345-iICg6.jpg

PS5 DualSense Edge Controller - First Hands-On!

Community Updates
New Comment

7 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Still trying to work out the pricing structure for this controller here....basically the same price as a brand new series s....
    Wow at the price, I thought the elite one was expensive
    Author
    There was issues submitting :/ i guess it went live shortly after. Should be merged now. Thanks (edited)
    That battery life though.
    49104796-TKp1l.jpg49104796-BQWyI.jpg
    The battery life on this is likely trash.
's avatar