Posted 29 August 2023

*HELP* Ryanair return leg cancelled day before flight ATC issue

Hi,
We received the dreaded email from Ryanair yesterday that our flight for today morning was cancelled due to ATC failure issues. Choices given were to book alternative flight at zero additional fees with them or obtain refund. We looked for alternatives on Google flights and only Jet2 came up and it was more than double of our Ryanair flights if we got a refund.

So we chose new flights with Ryanair and are now in Spain for an additional week. Can someone please advise on how we can obtain accommodation and food for the additional days? Would Ryanair have to arrange this or can we book and claim back? Is there a maximum limit on this cost? We had also booked car hire with our Ryanair flights on our original booking! And parked our car at our origin airport - this will need extending too!

Should we still travel to the airport even though our flights for today are cancelled? Should we return the car hire as planned today or try to extend it? I've never been in this situation before.

We are 2 adults and 2 children. Kids will miss school and we will miss work for an extra week!

I'd really appreciate advise from someone knowledgeable. Spent 3 hours trying to call Ryanair UK last night and will soon call them once they open :-(
Community Updates
New Comment

9 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Author
    Yes I read that article but wondered if we needed to go to the airport to be eligible for any accommodation/food help from them!? We obviously don't have valid boarding passes for today so wondered if we'll get anywhere at the airport?
    Just not sure if the four of us should travel 1 hour to the airport or whether we can be helped where we are.
    Indeed you can put in a claim against Ryanair, I did, but be prepared for a long drawn out legal battle, as they will wash their hands of any charges for food and accommodation. Might be best to suck up the extra cost of another carrier. Good luck. (edited)
    RyanAir has to get you to your destination as they cancelled your flight with very little notice so you go to the airport and they sort out a flight with another airline as soon as they can. There is no chance you are getting an extra weeks holiday covered by them as well lol. The next reasonable flight should be covered no matter who it is with or cost and that could be later on the same day or the next day. A week later, no chance.
    See below. CAA says no compensation if due to ATC.

caa.co.uk/pas…ns/

So, it will be an insurance claim (edited)
    You will receive nothing from Ryanair as ATC is not their fault ultimately.

they are certainly not responsible for your additional accommodation and food expenses.

This is a matter for your insurance company, make sure you keep receipts etc.
    I’d be contacting whoever your holiday is booked with (assuming it’s not Ryanair) as they should have the answers.
    I hope you took out insurance

Ryanair are not responsible for the collapse of aircraft control. And if they are you will be waiting forever.

It is just a question of who hacked? Airplanes & crashes. deaths of friends & DNA. Who would know? Could be anyone. (edited)
    No compensation due. Returning at a higher cost will be a lot cheaper.
's avatar