Posted 31 October 2023

How to connect Sky HD box to non-smart HD TV remotely.

I have a SKY HD box that at the moment is connected to my TV by HDMI. I am thinking of moving the TV to a different place in the room. The SKY box is of course connected to the Sky dish by the cable. Is it possible to leave the sky box where it is, but have the feed sent wirelessly to the TV, remotely? I don't want to run another cable around the room. Thanks in advance
Community Updates
New Comment

16 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Old skool "Sky HD box" had magic eye option that used standard (existing) antenna coax cable for AV & relaying IR remote control functions.
    Random example under £9 directly shifted by Amazon:
    amazon.co.uk/Mag…4C/
    but cheaper options available by other less credible sources.
    Author
    Excuse the basic descriptions in my post. I'm no expert in this. Thanks for your reply. I'll look at the link, thanks
    Guess you'd want something like a wireless HDMI adapters. I've not used them so can't vouch for their effectiveness.
    Can the wirless HDMi adaptors be in separate rooms? (ie whats it range for jitter free functionality?)
    Have a look at Sky Stream to outright replace the Sky box. Never plaid with it myself, but I know that one of my neighbours uses it to have 'Sky TV in the attic without running wires'. You need decent broadband/WiFi for it to work as it doesn't use the Sky satellite dish at all.

sky.com/tv/…eam (edited)
    If dismissing Sky Go, Android boxes and HDMI transmitters, there's likely no simple solution that will include IR remote relay to avoid weirdly pointing the remote handset behind or to the side of you.
    The simplest functional and almost certainly cheapest solution is dreaded run-a-cable-based. But this includes external cable mod options if you don't want additional internal cables.

If it's a short run you may be able to get away with carrying the sat feed via flat ethernet cable which is easier to hide under carpets etc - this would also bypass the point-remote-over-your-shoulder issue.
    Shouldn't be too difficult to cobble direct wire connections to/from ethernet, especially if using reasonably cheap female ethernet-to-screw-terminal connector adapters such as £5.99 for a pair fulfilled Amazon (ASIN B0BY32CV17).

51339954-mDzk9.jpg
    Or if not comfortable shoving wires in holes there are dedicated F-type-to-RJ45 options available for you to juggle gender changing via other adapters / couplers,
    example £1.49 delivered via AliEx aliexpress.com/ite…tml

51339954-eLc99.jpg
    Otherwise black, white or brown standard pre-made Sky twin/shotgun (extension) cable it is typically under £8 for 5m and typically under £1/m for 7m+ lengths - some traders will even throw in cable clips as a freebie, and you may be able to go single-cable if you're not subscribing and/or aren't using two simultaneous channels. (edited)
    Author
    is one of the indoor aerials worth a try?
's avatar