Posted 12 October 2023

iPhone trade in - how does it work?

Hi,

I’m planning on getting an iPhone 15, when going through the process to check stock on the website there’s an option to trade in my old phone, XS max, for £170ish.

Anyone know how this works exactly? If i turn up to the shop do i get a chance to transfer everything to the new phone and wipe my old phone?

Probably really paranoid but i want to wipe my old phone before letting them have it. I recently read a story about Apple devices making their way to 3rd party refurbishment companies and then on to other customers without being wiped.

Thanks
Community Updates
New Comment

8 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    I was assuming Apple Store

Details here - apple.com/uk/…-in
    Author
    Thanks yea i see now what’s expected now, for instore they instruct you to back it up first before coming in
    You can probably sell it more private
    what shop is it? might be able to explain better then.
    You mention website so I’d imagine you send it in to them but if it’s a network site I’d imagine you will get more for selling it after you have the 15 delivered

that’s my experience anyway and this way allows you to transfer everything over as both phones are in your control at the same time 
    Author
    Sorry should’ve said, Apple Store is what I’m on about
    You get the new phone first and then you have to send them your one within x amount of time if you do online (edited)
's avatar