Posted 21 hours ago

Motorola razr 40 screen cracked along fold

I recently got a Motorola razr 40 from a deal I sad seen on this app. I have had it less then a month and it has cracked along the fold. I haven't dropped the phone or done anything to cause the crack. I sent the phone away to the repair centre only to be told the warranty is void. I am now being told it will cost me £300 to repair. Has anyone ever had this issue and can advice me on what to do? Am I just gonna have to pay the £300 to get it fixed or is there any way I can escalate those further?? Thanks for any help would be much appreciated.
Community Updates
New Comment

7 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Did they tell you why the warranty is void?
    Author
    They just sent me a picture of the screen which is cracked along the fold no reason why it's voided the warranty
    Warranty is not required to exercise your 30 days right to reject defective goods against the UK trader that shifted you the prematurely busted rubbish.
    The trader holds the statutory product quality and durability obligations.
    Contact the trader within 30days of the product coming into your possession to make it expressly clear you are exercising your 30 days right to reject.
    30drtr resolution is full refund; although you may consider a replacement or repair if offered, but usually it is appropriate to take refund & optionally re-purchase, somewhere (else).

Observation:
    for the trader to challenge a 30drtr claim the onus is on the trader to show the issue is not a quality / manufacturing issue.
    You indicate a potentially credible source has stated warranty is void which implies the credible source believes the cause of the issue may be user-induced and not a manufacture defect, so you may need to obtain your own report to counter.
    The cost of that report would be recoverable from the trader if it supports your perception of quality / manufacturing issue.
    Arrogant traders will become obstinate when backed into a corner and it will likely involve some effort to enforce both full product purchase price refund + report cost refund from such traders but enforcement if required is straightforward, but dull.
    Zero response from OP, so assuming 30days right to reject has expired:
    contact trader and demand (not ask) for resolution under Consumer Rights Act citing inadequate quality / durability.

Resolution options required by CRA for period between 31days to 6months since taking possession of the product are refund, replacement or repair - at trader's choice.
    Same burden of proof requirement on trader as for 30drtr; with possible same counter proof required.
    Trader cannot pass CRA obligation to manufacturer, but may attempt to suggest it can discharge its obligations via warranty - that the consumer can decline.
    Same arrogant trader observation as previous; contra observation being instances of traders having a valid case that the consumer is attempting intentional / unintentional abuse.
    someone had mentioned on another post that they had the same issue with a samsung flip phone. samsung refused to repair as they said the phone had been dropped and although the fall did not break the fold, the fall was enough to invalidate the repair.

unfortunately with these phones, the fold line is fragile and so you have to be careful when you open and close the phone and they aren't expected to last as long as a normal phone because of the fold being fragile, it can only be used a certain number of times before it will crack.

new tech i suppose.
's avatar