Posted 4 days ago

new mattress, what is good and what to avoid?

im looking for a new superking mattress to replace a healthbeds mattress 1000 firm mattress, around 10 years old. i think it cost around £700 at the time

i currently dont have time to go mattress testing and am intrigued at many of the manufacturers offers of "free 200 night trials"

there seems to be so many brands around today: silent night, simba, emma, dusk, eve, nectar, otty slumberland, tempur, sleepeeze, sealy etc

Two of these in particual, emma and simba, imo look like they spend more on advertising and building a brand, rather than delivering a decent product. Im happy to be told different though.

Is there any particularly good deals, or standout mattress i should be looking for?

looking for something medium, to firm.

Current mattress is a big standard pocket sprung. Would be interested in a hybrid but concerned about longevity and overheating.
Community Updates
New Comment

24 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    We have a rem-fit and I really rate it. They offer the usual trial but we have had it a couple of years now and both really like it. It's firm but comfy, washable cover and definitely no indents/sagging even with quite heavy guy using it.
    Author
    Yea I've looked at these. They look good on the website. Seems similar blurb to all the other memory foam/hybrid type ones such as Emma, Simba, Otty, Eve etc. good that it seems good after a couple of years. That seems to be the main issue with these type of mattresses. They sag and also there seems to be a lot of complaints about heat retention.
    Ergoflex
    Author
    Never heard of this brand. seems similar to the Emma, Simba type mattresses. Do you have one?

Will do a deep dive and have a look
    pocket sprung them whatever firmness you want.
    argos also offer 100 nights trial
    Just be aware that you can only swap for another mattress on the 100 nights trial.
    I went from a 10y old memory foam mattress that cost me about £800 to one of these hybrid mattresses for under £200. Am v impressed & they allow trial and return if you don’t like it

Noblik King Size Mattress | 26cm Memory Foam Mattress in a Box | Pocketed Springs | Medium Firm | Blue White | King (150x200x26cm) amzn.eu/d/d…fMx
    Happy with our Simba. £200 from link here for refurbished.
    I also like the Idea of buying any cheap mattress and sticking a cheap topper over. Never tried that though (edited)
    Go for pocket spring. Try John Lewis own brand spend about £600 min for King.

Avoid any memory form mattress, Simba nimba or what ever. They are Always cheap replacements. I have tried 3 brands so far!

in the long run you will thank me.
    Author
    I'm quite tempted by the memory foam hybrids tbh. Looking at the ergoflex otty and eve brands. Would be interested in what they are like after a couple of years though.

Which have you tried?
    We spent ages looking for a mattress, and in the end went to IKEA tried all of their range and went for their most suitable one

We have a big weight difference between us and it has to suit us both equally well.

We tried them all they are lovely, even the lower tiered ones

Some good advice from ab employee at IKEA was that the beds on show have been tried, bounced upon and tested for a prolonged period of time which has softened them all to a degree so we went up a firmness to compensate for that

You also get a year to change your mind, you'll have to find the t's & C's though as it was a while ago for us
    Don't buy a cheap mattress. You spend approximately half your life asleep. I'm sceptical of these all foam mattresses lasting more than a few years. Get an old fashioned pocket sprung, like a hypnos.
    Author
    I don't want to skimp but I think a hypnos superking is around £2000 so probably out of my budget.
    Author
    Think I'm going for an otty anyway. Looked at every brand going and otty was the only one I could find that did not seem to have any negative reviews online
    Costco has some good deals on just now...worth a look on-line
's avatar