Posted 12 September 2023

Password manager for Android

Is there a free password manager that you can recommend for Android? I only want to use it for certain apps, like my sparks, nectar, greggs, so shopping apps as I don't want it to start messing around with my bank apps!

I have different log ons to my shopping apps, so would the password manager understand the different passwords associated with the different email log ons to the same app?

I have the samsung galaxy A52 and I sometimes see a password manager pop up and ask me if I want to remember the password, so there may be one already built into my device that I can use?

Never used a password manager before so any advice will be appreciated.
Community Updates
New Comment

41 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    I use stock Android. Not the customised Samsung Android. I use Chrome as my browser on my desktop and my phone. I allow Chrome on my desktop to memorise my logins and passwords for various shopping sites. Chrome on my phone synchronises with my desktop. The perils, pitfalls and sheer handiness of a google account.
    Author
    The only browser I use on my phone is for hukd. I only need app log in as I don't use browser on my phone.

I hate the hukd app as it looks horrid and is totally cluttered, so I have had to stick to the browser, but it is better to use apps on your phone instead of visiting websites.
    Use Google's own.
    Wouldn’t recommend Google’s password manager. Not as secure as one would hope. I’ve had my passwords leaked from there, even with all 2fa enabled whilst using complex and not repeated passwords.

Still can’t figure out how it was done. I’m now only using bitwarden. (edited)
    I use BitWarden across all platforms
    I use Samsung Pass. It's probably already installed on your phone
    Author
    yes, i think i see this pop up every now and then but have never used it. do you know if it is possible for samsung pass to remember different log on to the same app and so choose appropriately the password associated with that email address? I assume it only keeps the password and not the email address?
    Bitwarden or Proton Password. I have recently started using the latter and quite impressed with it.
    Author
    Are they both free?
    Bitwarden, Keypass
    For storing the barcodes of your membership/ loyalty cards/ gift vouchers, I would suggest Stocard.
    It has worked for me without issue. Just tap the store name and the card / code is available to scan.
    But for actual password management, I would agree with others and go for Bitwarden or Proton. Both of which can be used on probably any device
    Another vote for bitwarden
    Author
    Bitwarden works great on my phone, thanks guys!

I thought I would try it on my windows 11 pc as well. Downloaded the app from microsoft store but it doesn't seem to work when I try to log into nectar for example. Then I added it to my chrome browser as an extension, thinking this may work, but it doesn't work either.

When I googled how to use bitwarden on windows, it mentions using windows hello. Anyone can give some advice as I can't get it to work on my windows 11 pc and I think windows hello talks about face recognition, finger prints and pin numbers???
    All I do with Bitwarden on a Windows PC is install the extension for the browser I use, you then log in to that with same email and password and the icon at the top will turn blue.

So when on a site that you have saved the info in Bitwarden you should see a little number on the icon at top of web browser, click that then click the log in info and it should fill it in for you. (edited)
    What SaturdayGigs said. Don't look any further (I mean regarding Bitwarden). (edited)
    Proton
    Bitwarden.
    I use bitwarden and works well 99% of times
    Fully second Bitwarden
    This explains what should be happening, skip to 2mins20, this is assuming you have added a site to Bitwarden.

(edited)
    Author
    I can't log into my M&S sparks app It keeps going back to the log in screen and clears the autofill. Anyone know how I can solve this?
    You may have to copy paste the password in, I think I once had an issue with another password manager not working and it was Hotukdeals that caused the issue.
    Another Bitwarden recommendation here. No problems whatsoever, very happy with it.
's avatar