Posted 30 May 2022

Sky Mobile Piggybank Hack so PiggyBank NEVER Expires

I just spoke to someone from Sky Mobile and he gave me a good tip for keeping your entire piggybank.

Saved data expires after 3 years but to avoid this, "Roll Back" your entire PiggyBank onto your sim card in one go. Whatever you don't use will then go back into your PiggyBank the following month and will reset the 3 year expiration time. I guess it's similar to gift cards and resetting the expiry with a balance check etc.

Apologies if already posted or widely known but it was news to me!

Only slight issue is there's a maximum rollback of 5GB in one transaction but there's nothing to stop you doing endless 5GB transactions. It may just take a few minutes if your bank is in the 100s of GB!
Community Updates
New Comment

15 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Author
    seatie31/05/2022 16:09

Do they actually clear your whole piggy bank after 3 years? I just assumed …Do they actually clear your whole piggy bank after 3 years? I just assumed the 3 years was a rolling thing ie they would just remove data added to the piggy bank in the month 3 years prior to the current one. And keep doing that each month after on a rolling basis.

That's right, it would be done on a rolling basis
    Author
    I thought this
    Conkers81631/05/2022 09:09

I've got about 240gb in my piggybank. It would take me a bit more than a …I've got about 240gb in my piggybank. It would take me a bit more than a 'few minutes' to transfer it over to one of the accounts!

I thought this too in transferring my 95gb but genuinely took about 3 minutes. So under 10 minutes for 240gb by that logic! Other tip is leave a few seconds between each transfer or it will show an error, just a slight lag as it processes it I assume

fabsaver31/05/2022 00:05

Where can you see when it expires?

I'm not too sure, may require contacting them. Can take control of it with a full transfer and then a reminder to do it again before 3 years expires. Assuming their terms don't change in that time of course (edited)
    Is this correct? I'm sure I read somewhere that any piggybank data withdrawn expires at the end of the bill period and doesn't roll back in again, only unused 'fresh data' would roll into the piggybank, but not stuff that has already been in there and came out from the piggybank?
    I may be wrong (and hope I am) as can't seem to see that on Sky website now but was sure I'd read that somewhere at some point.
    My withdrawn data returns to the Piggybank
    Author
    Can't be 100% sure but I was given this tip by a seemingly clued up member of their Mobile support team so it's straight from the horse's mouth!
    anybody knows if this piggyback "hack" is still valid?

a light data user on mobile so sky mobile with their piggybank feature is the best fit for me currently, and have been with them for a few years, but is now out of contract but have about 28Gbs saved up.

thinking about renewing for 12 months and were offered 50% extra data or 20% money off for recontract, but want to know is this "hack" is still working, and how many times can you "refresh" your piggy bank this way?
    It seems to be. I've been rolling 5GB a month and the unused data is added back to my piggybank each month. I assume the 3 years starts again from the date it is added back, but still can't see the expiry dates to know for sure.
    Apologies for resurrecting this hack, seen an email from sky that they will now expire after 12months?
    Also this point was stressed when talking to their overseas support in looking to add a new sim and they were desperate for trade of 100gb for £25 and contract lock of 3 years.
    Didn't mention the hack to them and wondered if anyone has any further info if they closed the door on this?
    It's still working as far as I know. None of my data appears to have expired yet. How much longer it will work nobody knows. I intend to keep rolling 5GB a month, so that hopefully all of my data refreshes within a year.

I recently posted about the upcoming changes to expiry date.
    hotukdeals.com/dis…481
    Good tip
    Brilliant tip.
    fabsaver31/05/2022 00:05

Yes, this would be useful to know
    I've got about 240gb in my piggybank. It would take me a bit more than a 'few minutes' to transfer it over to one of the accounts!
    Do they actually clear your whole piggy bank after 3 years? I just assumed the 3 years was a rolling thing ie they would just remove data added to the piggy bank in the month 3 years prior to the current one. And keep doing that each month after on a rolling basis.
's avatar