Posted 5 December 2021

Sky q no satellite signal

Hi

wonder if anyone can help me my sky q mini box was working last night and then started to come up with the Message no satellite signal and won’t work now tried all the online fixes getting annoying now lol
Community Updates
New Comment

17 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    I’ve spoke to Sky. This is a known issue with a software update that was pushed out 2 days ago. Loads of people with the older Sky Q boxes have had the same issue. Apparently they (Sky) tried to roll the update back but it didn’t work for most people.

Seems to affect the hard drive in the box, which is used to store your recordings and buffer the stream to the Sky Q minis.

You can reset your hard drive (albeit losing all recordings, which I couldn’t access anyway) by:

Press home button, go down to settings (but don’t click on it), press 001 and then the select button on the remote, go down to reset, go across and down to ‘reset hard drive’ and click on reset. Wait a few mins for the Sky Q box to rest the hard drive and sit there with the orange standby light, press the orange standby button on the box to turn it back on (the remote won’t turn it back on after a reset)

Hope this helps. Mine is back up and running again, and I also have an engineer coming tomorrow to replace my Sky Q box (with the latest HDR version, mine is the older non HDR version - had it for around 5 years) to prevent this from happening again. (edited)
    Author
    JJClements07/12/2021 21:14

@Goonermad I’ve spoke to Sky. This is a known issue with a software update …@Goonermad I’ve spoke to Sky. This is a known issue with a software update that was pushed out 2 days ago. Loads of people with the older Sky Q boxes have had the same issue. Apparently they (Sky) tried to roll the update back but it didn’t work for most people.Seems to affect the hard drive in the box, which is used to store your recordings and buffer the stream to the Sky Q minis.You can reset your hard drive (albeit losing all recordings, which I couldn’t access anyway) by:Press home button, go down to settings (but don’t click on it), press 001 and then the select button on the remote, go down to reset, go across and down to ‘reset hard drive’ and click on reset. Wait a few mins for the Sky Q box to rest the hard drive and sit there with the orange standby light, press the orange standby button on the box to turn it back on (the remote won’t turn it back on after a reset)Hope this helps. Mine is back up and running again, and I also have an engineer coming tomorrow to replace my Sky Q box (with the latest HDR version, mine is the older non HDR version - had it for around 5 years) to prevent this from happening again.

I had to have new dish cable installed and new box working now 😁😁
    We had this very often when we first had sky q.

Turn the power off to the mini box, then restart it. Unplug it I mean. (edited)
    You’ll probably get a sky glass offer delivered today
    Goonermad07/12/2021 10:49

Done all of that no avail spoke to sky they said they can only advise me …Done all of that no avail spoke to sky they said they can only advise me to unplug the box can’t even get into recordings to see if box is full or not and catch up says technical fault but sky go works lol

not sure why you seemed so happy about it!

the mini box doesn't store anything in it so it won't have ran out of space. i assume your main box is still working and it is just the mini box that is broke?

sky should send someone out to look into it if the issue continues and they can not get it resolved over the phone. it may take a while for the engineer to come over though as everyone seems to be on holiday, working from home or self isolating these days. broken britain
    Author
    mutley107/12/2021 16:31

you only said mini box in your OP so i assumed you only had the problem …you only said mini box in your OP so i assumed you only had the problem with the mini box.we had the same problem with the main box as well when we had the problem with the mini box. sky sent out the engineer twice and they could not work out what the problem was. the second time the engineer came round he said it could be that we have the dvd player on the main box, which interferes with it. the box was also inside the tv unit and he said that it was very hot to the touch so that may why it was having issues.we took out the dvd player and now has the main box on top of the tv unit so it can release the heat built up inside.sounds like you need the engineer round to do some tests to identify where the problem lies. ask them to send out an engineer to look into the problem for you.

He will be around tmoz morning to check it out fingers crossed should be fixed cant deal with no channels as my dad watches same episodes of this house selling show and drew antiques aha
    I used to get that all the time, my issue was the strength of signal between the main box and the mini box. I generally just reset everything, main box, mini and my router just for good measure and it seemed to get it working again.

As an actual long term fix I installed a cat cable between the main and mini boxes and never had the problem again.
    Jasandsmi05/12/2021 22:32

I used to get that all the time, my issue was the strength of signal …I used to get that all the time, my issue was the strength of signal between the main box and the mini box. I generally just reset everything, main box, mini and my router just for good measure and it seemed to get it working again. As an actual long term fix I installed a cat cable between the main and mini boxes and never had the problem again.

Sky gave us a signal booster but it didn't help. They said that they would come round and connect an Ethernet cable from the router downstairs into the bedroom upstairs, where the mini box is, but we didn't like the idea of having a cable that long!

They switched our broadband channel and that seemed to have solved the problem.
    Make sure your main sky Q box and the Mini box are both connected to your broadband router (I asume by wi fi and not ethernet cable).

Your mini box connects to the main sky Q box via your Broadband router, if the mini box is not connected to the router then it cant find the sky Q box.

On your mini box go to Settings then Statius and it shows the settings for "Connection to Sky Q Box" and "Network Connection" and they should both have a tick against them.

If Network Connection has a cross then reconnect it to your router and it should then connect to the main Sky Q box on its own. (edited)
    Author
    guilbert5306/12/2021 13:58

Make sure your main sky Q box and the Mini box are both connected to your …Make sure your main sky Q box and the Mini box are both connected to your broadband router (I asume by wi fi and not ethernet cable).Your mini box connects to the main sky Q box via your Broadband router, if the mini box is not connected to the router then it cant find the sky Q box.On your mini box go to Settings then Statius and it shows the settings for "Connection to Sky Q Box" and "Network Connection" and they should both have a tick against them.If Network Connection has a cross then reconnect it to your router and it should then connect to the main Sky Q box on its own.

Tried that lol done the steps I knew and it still says the same day 3 and it’s annoying
    Goonermad06/12/2021 21:29

Tried that lol done the steps I knew and it still says the same day 3 and …Tried that lol done the steps I knew and it still says the same day 3 and it’s annoying

so have you tried to unplug the mini box and plugging it back into the wall socket?
    Do you think wind rain might have got into the cables outside?
    mutley106/12/2021 22:33

so have you tried to unplug the mini box and plugging it back into the …so have you tried to unplug the mini box and plugging it back into the wall socket?

There is a small reset button on the back of the mini boxes (only 1-2mm in diameter) press that and it should go through a recycle to reset, just follow the prompts on screen.

If that doesn’t work I suggest temporarily moving the mini box as close to the main box and trying again. If it works closer to the main box then you are either going to have to use an ethernet cable or try a wireless repeater.

If those two don’t work I think you may have a faulty mini box.
    Author
    mutley106/12/2021 22:33

so have you tried to unplug the mini box and plugging it back into the …so have you tried to unplug the mini box and plugging it back into the wall socket?

Done all of that no avail spoke to sky they said they can only advise me to unplug the box can’t even get into recordings to see if box is full or not and catch up says technical fault but sky go works lol (edited)
    Author
    mutley107/12/2021 11:07

not sure why you seemed so happy about it! the mini box doesn't store …not sure why you seemed so happy about it! the mini box doesn't store anything in it so it won't have ran out of space. i assume your main box is still working and it is just the mini box that is broke?sky should send someone out to look into it if the issue continues and they can not get it resolved over the phone. it may take a while for the engineer to come over though as everyone seems to be on holiday, working from home or self isolating these days. broken britain

Mutts I’m not happy lol all I can do is lump it aha I meant the main box I can’t access recordings also to see if the box is full or not just says please wait
    Goonermad07/12/2021 16:23

Mutts I’m not happy lol all I can do is lump it aha I meant the main box I …Mutts I’m not happy lol all I can do is lump it aha I meant the main box I can’t access recordings also to see if the box is full or not just says please wait

you only said mini box in your OP so i assumed you only had the problem with the mini box.

we had the same problem with the main box as well when we had the problem with the mini box. sky sent out the engineer twice and they could not work out what the problem was. the second time the engineer came round he said it could be that we have the dvd player on the main box, which interferes with it. the box was also inside the tv unit and he said that it was very hot to the touch so that may why it was having issues.

we took out the dvd player and now has the main box on top of the tv unit so it can release the heat built up inside.

sounds like you need the engineer round to do some tests to identify where the problem lies. ask them to send out an engineer to look into the problem for you.
    so I’ve had the exact same issue and it also started for me a couple of days ago! Did you have any luck with the technician? I’ve tried forcing a software update on my main Sky Q box and my two Sky Q minis. No joy.

Recordings are not showing at all on my main Sky Q box and the two minis are showing ‘no satellite signal’.

I’m wondering if the hard drive in the main Sky Q box has died, which means the recordings are lost and the hard drive can’t buffer the stream to the Sky Q minis.

Edit: I should also point out that streaming Netflix and Disney+ still works through the Sky Q minis though.

Edit 2: I just realised you said he will be round tomorrow! (edited)
's avatar