Posted 13 hours ago

Worth getting PS5 if you don't have a 4k TV?

I'm thinking of getting a PS5 Slim when they reduce to the £300s in price (I could be waiting a while I know lol), but I only have a 1080p TV that I've had well over 10yrs.

Is it even worth bothering getting a PS5 if I don't even own a 4k TV?.
Community Updates
New Comment

9 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Yes
    Depends what games you want to play and how 'future proof' you want to be. If you want to play games that were out on the PS4, then you could get a second hand PS4 and a substantial back catalogue for the same price. (Although I doubt they'll drop below £400 for a very long time).

I wouldn't let the TV resolution affect your decision though. And at some point your TV could go to the big Curry's store in the sky and you'll end up with a 4K TV anyway.
    Yes defo. Frames are better and IMO more important than 4K. I always prioritise smooth gameplay over resolution
    Just played GranTurismo7 (PS5 version) and few other PS4 games on the PS5 on a HD TV (1080p) and to be honest I was very disappointed with the graphics. Even GT7 looked graphically the same as if being played on PS4. If I was buying the PS5 with the hope of seeing next generation graphics and a next gen gaming 'feeling' then I would seriously consider upgrading my TV to 4K first. If however, you want to play the latest games available and enjoy the much much quicker loading times without a drastic upgrade in graphics, then opt to buy the PS5 without upgrading to 4K.
    If the games you want to play are PS5 exclusive, then yes.

Otherwise, consider a PS4/PS4 Pro; particularly, since you seem very price sensitive. Although, if you can afford a PS5, then that'll be more 'futureproof'.
    It's definitely worth getting a PS5, frame rates are far better if the game supports it and loading is only seconds as well as improved visuals even on a 1080p crappy old TV but to get the most out of it and make it feel next gen you should get a good 4K TV possibly first.

But let's be realistic a PS5 costing only £300 is years off unless the rumoured Pro release towards the end of 2024 helps reduce it quicker.

It's not just about getting a 4K TV you want it to be able to take into account PS5 features like VRR and good HDR to get the most out of it and just getting a cheap £600 TV may not give you all of that so when you do decide you're going to get a 4K TV don't go for a bargain bin one without doing research.

But yes a PS5 on a 1080p TV will be a huge upgrade but you may not want to wait years for that so look out for sales. (edited)
    I had to get a new TV a few days ago after mine failed. £600 Hisense 55", 4K, 120Hz (Does 144hz), VRR, QLED Mini LED with full array dimming, HDR, Dolby Vision the works. Looks amazing for the money, especially compared to my 5 year old Samsung it replaced.

Anyway, I'd say PS5 would look much better on a decent TV, so I'd recommend looking at upgrading the 10 year old TV and treat yourself to something newer. As long as you get something that supports 120hz and VRR you will be laughing. (edited)
's avatar