Posted 15 hours ago

CCTV ethernet cable tidy tapo C520W

My tapo C520W has an ethernet connection which would require a 20mm hole to fit through my wall when installing.
Is there a box I can buy to store part of the cable in outside? so I can just thread the plug cable through the wall instead.

Not sure what those would be called!
Community Updates
New Comment

11 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Outdoor junction box
    I use these exact boxes for my IP cameras, ELS HP80 - they also come in grey.

amazon.co.uk/Pac…4N/

I've had them up for five years on the outside of the house and they've held up perfectly. I changed over all my cameras last year and found all the boxes bone dry inside, even the one south facing that bakes in the sun was perfect.

I would not recommend round external junction boxes. I cheaped out and bought a load of Schneider branded round boxes from Screwfix for my low voltage garden lighting and a couple of low level cameras I have mounted to a fence, they've all let in water and one even killed one of my WiFi cameras.
    Author
    Did you screw mount your camera on to the front of this box or put it next to it on the wall?
    Thanks (edited)
    Can just use the bung/plug within the waterproofing kit supplied with the cam

52025172-HplhQ.jpg
    If you also don't want to drill a thumping 12mm hole through wall to accommodate the 5.5x2.5mm DC barrel for the power "plug cable" and also don't want to chop the TPL power cable you can instead chop a £3.99 5m extension shifted directly by Amazon
    amazon.co.uk/dp/…CW/
    but you'll be looking to wrap the external mating connection with waterproof tape / similar solution unless you can modify the connection to use the included waterproof seal:

52025172-z2kvp.jpg
    or lash an extension together with virtually any old 2-core (or more) cable and some 5.5x2.5mm screw-terminal connectors, so no solder nor Wago reqd. Example for excess qty under £6 but cheaper single pair available:
    amazon.co.uk/dp/…ZW/
    Still need to consider waterproofing any exposed power cable mating connection.
    You got any soffits on your garage? Dropping the cable down from your roofline can be tidy.

Otherwise I used a waterproof junction box (think mine was a BG one). Didn’t care about the hole Outside as the box hid it.
    I just went out in an inconspicuous corner on the inside.
    googleadservices.com/pag…rl=
    This is a junction box

This gets your internal Ethernet to the outside of the wall.
    You then loop in all the gubbins from the camera too.
    They’re supplied with the grommets normally
    I used these for all my cams but my cams are Dahua

DAHUA- Water-proof Junction Box PFA130-E amzn.eu/d/40B93uZ

I only needed to drill a 5.5mm hole as I terminated the Ethernet cable with a plug myself. Pretty easy to do and the tools and plugs are pretty cheap if you have a few to do. (edited)
    If it comes with a waterproof connector, I'd use that and wrap it with self amalgamating tape to be sure.

You could buy a cheap rj45 crimping tool and some ethernet plugs and just drill a hole big enough for the cable to pass through ebay.co.uk/itm…48?
's avatar