Posted 14 September 2023

Cheapest similar spec'd phone to replace an LG G5

So the time has come and my kids are wanting to upgrade from the LG G5. It also appears it's going to be a necessity as the authentication app (Yoti) for the CTF needs Android version 9.0 or greater.

There are so many devices available I was hoping someone could help me narrow down the selection.
It'll need to run Android version 9.0 or greater, be a better spec than the LG G5 - what's the cheapest this can be done? I just spent £237.95 on a Samsung Galaxy A53 5G, however I would prefer to spend less than half that! Can it be done?

I'll avoid iOS devices as whilst I do have a lot of Apple kit the kids would want the latest Apple iPhone and I'm not going down that expensive path again!
Community Updates
New Comment

5 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Samsung Galaxy A04s £110 Argos?
    Author
    I read reports it's very sluggish, it's in the right price range though!
    I went from LG G5 to mi 10t lite. Cost me £179 for 5g phone two years ago. Any of the Xiaomi redmi Poco deals will be better phones than LG G5 which got pretty slow by the end of my usage of it. Can compare specs at gsmarena. (edited)
    Author
    Appreciate the feedback guys!
    I discovered the A53 has been reduced to £263.90 and annoyingly Amazon "reconditioned" are selling it for £219!
    amazon.co.uk/Sam…c=1

I never thought to look elsewhere as the A53 was £399 new when I was looking!
    I have my old A40 that'll seem an upgrade (it's running Android 11)
    I want to upgrade my P30 Pro and one of the kids can have it, however I can't find a suitable upgrade for that!
's avatar