Posted 20 June 2015

Has anyone purchased safe and sound windows from Anglian windows?

I had a contract with Anglian windows for triple glazing, but was phoned today to say they had made a mistake and can't offer triple glazing on the oak finish and they would upgrade us to there safe and sound glass free of charge. Has anyone had this installed in there home and does it help with reducing noise level?

thanks in advance
Community Updates
New Comment

23 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    I have just had safe and sound windows installed in my living room and bedroom. Both of which face a busy road. The salesman made all sorts of claims about the volume being halved and the house effectively moving back 150 ft etc. The previous windows were standard double glazed, so I understand would be around 28db reduction. Safe and sound should be 36db reduction (triple glazing would have been 35db). My own research suggests a 10db reduction should halve the perceived volume. So I certainly did not believe the sales person. However, at approximately 8db difference between the old and the new, and more effort to fill any voids, I did expected a noticeable difference. But there is none. The living room and the bedroom are exactly as they were. I can perceive no difference. 4,000 pounds for 5 windows to achieve nothing at all. Do not waste your money on these as they simply do not create any noticeable difference.
    Anglian conned me into buying safe & sound glass for my new windows. It was expensive and is utterly useless, there is little difference in noise whether the windows are open or shut. I had more noise insulation with my old windows. House has been colder this winter too. I've complained to Anglian but they've never bothered to address my complaint. I'll now have to take the matter further. Be warned and avoid like the plague.
    I'd always go with a local window company, someone who a friend or family member can vouch for. My mums had windows for a big company in the past and they did an awful job and after service was shocking.
    try DG solutions. we found them far superior. say I recommended you!
    AVOID Anglian windows for any work absolutely BLOODY DIRE, I've been a victim so you've been WARNED... Use a small local company and good luck..
    cancel
    anglain are rubbish
    Anglian windows i suggest you run as far as you can from them and use a local company with a good rep
    did you not do the hotukdeals test before you joined, i am sure that there is a question about buying from this and other companies like them and if you didnt answer the question correctly you cant be a member of the site
    CANCEL. If they cant give you what you ordered you're able to cancel then you can go to a decent company. Dont go with any of the big companies. Do what the others have suggested and ask friends and work mates about local companies.
    Hi, our Safe and Sound glass is made to reduce the amount of noise entering your home. This video explains how it works - youtube.com/wat…Ayc
    Anglianhelp

Hi, our Safe and Sound glass is made to reduce the amount of noise … Hi, our Safe and Sound glass is made to reduce the amount of noise entering your home. This video explains how it works - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FZbe7DEAyc

What about your Customer Service reputation though? You must be aware such forums of this does put many, many people off buying from Anglian Windows - including myself.
    They installed a sound reducing window today and it hasn't made any difference. I logged a complaint straight away. Im waiting for a Manager to call me, they said within 16 to 24 hours to inspect the Product and installation work. Why did I waste my time and money, there is no difference to the sound. If they don't resolve this problem I will be onto Fensa.
    Author
    I also went ahead with the safe and sound glass and to be honest there is a very slight diffrence, but I also installed for safety reasons. let me know how your complaint went and I may do the same.
    leonk1

They installed a sound reducing window today and it hasn't made any … They installed a sound reducing window today and it hasn't made any difference. I logged a complaint straight away. Im waiting for a Manager to call me, they said within 16 to 24 hours to inspect the Product and installation work. Why did I waste my time and money, there is no difference to the sound. If they don't resolve this problem I will be onto Fensa.

Anglianhelp

Hi, our Safe and Sound glass is made to reduce the amount of noise … Hi, our Safe and Sound glass is made to reduce the amount of noise entering your home. This video explains how it works - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FZbe7DEAyc

maybe you can help leonk with this ?
    jacki10

I also went ahead with the safe and sound glass and to be honest there is … I also went ahead with the safe and sound glass and to be honest there is a very slight diffrence, but I also installed for safety reasons. let me know how your complaint went and I may do the same.

lucky you asked the question here so you could ignore virtually every poster!
    Avoid Anglian. Very cheap inferior quality components with clever marketing to fool people into thinking they are getting a good deal
    (edited)
    I spoke to somebody at Anglian regarding my complaint. He said he would investigate. Im still waiting for an email. I am very angry. I've been in shock for 2 days. I cannot even bare to stay in the same room as the window. No difference at all in sound reduction.
    (edited)
    I don't believe they installed safe and sound glass. There is no gap between the glass. I believe the new window is a normal double glazed window and they charged me more for it. They are criminals. Are they part of the Glass and Glazing Federation? if not I will have a word with a local Citizens Advice Bureau or Trading Standards Office.
    Whoever posted that video. It is a lie. They are bunch of liars. My life is much worst after buying that window because I just paid them £1264 to fit an identicle window grrrrrrrrrr.

(edited)
    leonk1

Whoever posted that video. It is a lie. They are bunch of liars. My life … Whoever posted that video. It is a lie. They are bunch of liars. My life is much worst after buying that window because I just paid them £1264 to fit an identicle window grrrrrrrrrr.

£1264 for one window? I hope you are joking. I had six windows for £900 fitted!

I thought everyone knew that Anglian are terrible for price, quality and fitting.

It's not like there aren't thousands of reviews on Anglian on the Internet.
    I run my own glazing company and employ 30 odd people so have some knowledge on this. Installing double glazing with a different thickness of glass will reduce the sound penetration, Anglian use 6.4mm laminate on one pane and 4mm on the other, they could use an acoustic glass that is 6.8mm that would be marginally better. However you must remember that sound can pass through other areas, like the walls, chimneys, air vents. Trickle vents in windows 'leak' sound!

Triple glazing using 3 equal panes of glass offers no real improvement to sound insulation, that's a myth!

The windows need installing well and be well sealed to the house fabric, using expanding foam and sealant. My final comment would be to install secondary glazing at least 100mm from the glass of the external window, this should have glass of a different thickness to the primary glazing, preferably with acoustic glazing
    Please do not go for Safe and Sound windows - we had them fitted in every room of our house and it's made no difference. They suggested that the trickle vents are to blame! Rip off - product not as described. AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE!!
    I have used Anglian for many years and always found them superb. I have triple glazing which is very good. In the summer the a/c has to be set to level 3 where as with the old double glazing it was cool enough on 1. Just had safe and sound fitter today and they are superb. Really quiet....I would recommend them.
    Watch this video and you will see a diesel van go by and not hear it.

's avatar