Posted 5 November 2023

Microsoft office for Mac

I need the basic version of Microsoft work for my MacBook so I can edit some documents I use as a hobby. I don’t use the other stuff it comes with (excel, PowerPoint etc) I literally just need Word but the online version is shocking.

I saw Wowcher does Office 2016 for £24, Ive never used Wowcher before, can anyone confirm would work and do what I need?

Thanks
Community Updates
New Comment

9 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Do you use Office at work? If so - you should be entitled to simple install a version on your home computer. You just need to log into your works Office 365 account and it gives you an option to download a copy - its all part of your works licence agreement.
    Have you tried using Apple's 'Pages' that comes with Macbooks? If not installed, you can get free on the App Store.
    Author
    Would you recommend? It’s only got recipes I write down and edit
    I had to go have a look at Wowcher as that seemed to be a very good deal, unfortunately I saw this at the bottom;

• Compatible devices: Microsoft Office 2019 software is compatible with devices that run Windows 10 or later. Not compatible with Mac, Android or Chromebook.

My daughter uses Office 365 on her Mac, I have one of the family licences that appear at Argos every so often. But that is a yearly subscription, and I mainly justify the price by having the 6Tb online storage available. I'd recommend trying for an Office 365 licence so you can use the local apps. (edited)
    Author
    Sorry it was a 2016 version - Microsoft Office Home & Business for Mac - 2016, 2019 or 2021 wowcher.co.uk/dea…-24?
    Google docs is another free option.
    A recent thread had a link suggesting the Wowcher 'licences' weren't legitimate, ie. may work but are actually pirated (and why pay for pirated stuff!?).

[The wording on the Wowcher page is sightly suspect, and it's well known marketplaces like them don't care as long as they're getting their cut from the seller]

For your stated needs, why not use Pages, LibreOffice, or a number of other free/cheap options. They will read/write standard Word documents just fine. It's only when you get to complicated stuff or the other Office apps that Microsoft could potentially be required for compatibility/familiarity. (edited)
's avatar