Posted 10 October 2023

Octopus Energy Fan Club

Hi everyone,

I am currently on the flexible price cap with Octopus with dumb meters. I've just had a guy call round saying we are now eligible for Octopus Fan Club (they have just launched a turbine in Skeggie).

I was wondering if anyone here is on the Fan Club tariff, and if so, what's your opinions/experience? I'm wondering if it will be any better/worse than the tracker/agile tariffs. We are able to shift our usage to whenever, and do not own an EV if that makes a difference.

I appreciate any comments/ info/ experiences
Community Updates
New Comment

3 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    It's the first I've heard of it. According to the blurb it's the same price as their other tariffs but you get 20% off if the turbine is spinning and 50% if it's spinning above a certain speed.
    I'm not eligible for this tariff. I'm currently on Tracker and that works out cheaper than Agile for me
    I'm afriad it seems quite niche so not sure there will be many on it.

I'd argue if you can shift your usage then it'll be better than tracker (which historically for electric has been 30% cheaper than the variable). If it were me i'd be all over it but you need to be prepared to get a smart meter (I know some people have reservations about this). You also need to invest a small amount of time/head space to maximise the benefits but I get a bit of a buzz out of it, gamifying it almost.

I wasn't prepared to commit too much time/headspace so have declined to move to Agile. My EVs aren't large enough batteries to warrant paying ~10% more peak for the significant reduction in the off-peak hours.
    Author
    We've got smart meters due to be fitted this week, figured it was worth giving it a go