Posted 18 February 2023

Which mobile network has the cheapest contracts or PAYG to keep a nice phone number.

I am with Virgin Mobile on one of my SIM cards.

I like the number. But I never use it as my main for data and calls. I don't want to pay £7 a month for this.

I want to port this number out to a different network.

Where is good for like £1 a month? or a pay as you go where I only have to top up every year or so?
Community Updates
New Comment

19 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    If you want a cheap monthly plan forever then Vectone (EE) do £2.99 a month for 150 mins 150 texts and 1GB Data - vectonemobile.co.uk/sim…ans - The benefit of getting a proper contract like this is that it will keep your account and number active even if you don’t make a call, compared to the prepaid options and bundles mentioned below.

If you’re happy to jump around then Lyca (o2) via MSE will do you 1p a month for 6 months. But £4.75 Thereafter if you don’t move it around again to another cheap deal.

Alternatively just get a pay as you go SIM from pretty much any network you like. Top it up with some credit. And make a reminder to switch it on and make a chargeable call every 89 days. After 90 days of inactivity the account would be disabled and you risk losing it. I personally use Vectone for my spare SIMs to keep them active purely because they’ve not let me down for the past decade nor have they changed their prices. But as I said anywhere is good. Even if you just pick up a SIM in the supermarket. Asda Mobile for example. £5 credit. Only need to make a chargeable call every 90 days to stay active. Same situation again.
    Author
    This is a lovely post.

I think I will go with Vectone as I'll probably forget to make the call within 90 days and lose the number.

Thank you for the in depth reply! Much appreciated
    You like it as if it were a cherished / private / personalised car registration plate? (edited)
    Author
    I use it as one of my main numbers for two factor on things and it's just easier to tell family and friends this number...

I have 3 mains and this is one of them. I just don't use internet or call people much on it. Unless my others are dead or not with me
    Rwg mobile would work for this.
    Edit... they got rid of this plan

This. I paid £15 one off for my son and get 750mb of data every month plus 100 mins 100 text. Have to make one free text every so often to keep account alive. (edited)
    Tesco mobile. Been with them since 2004.. excellent customer service
    SKY, purchase their cheapest handset or a tablet and they will give you sim card costing £1 per month with unlimited minutes and unlimited texts.
    Hijacking this thread. Is there a sim provider where you could put credit and keep it until credit runs out ...bit like what op asked for thanks
    Yes. Almost all networks who offer pay as you go do it. You just need to opt out of any rolling monthly bundles and go purely pay as you go. But you still MUST make a chargeable call every 89 days to keep the account active. If you don’t you risk losing your credit and number.
's avatar