Posted 1 October 2023

Read The Telegraph Via VPN

If you want to read the Telegraph website for free, just do the following.

- Install DuckDuckGo app on your device.

- Use a VPN and connect to any country other than UK or Ireland.

- Load up the DuckDuckGo app and head to the Telegraph website.

- Enjoy! All articles will be free to read and you can read as many as you like.

telegraph.co.uk/
Community Updates
New Comment

46 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    If you have a library card you can sign up to the PressReader app and get this and other newspapers & magazines for free
    Extremely helpful thank you
    The Telegraph is one of those sites that uses javascript for the paywall.

So I just have my browser set up to disable javascript on their site. No need for VPNs or third party sites.
    Use "Opera" browser it has an inbuilt VPN which you can toggle on & off at will. Just tried it on the Telegraph website... A OK
    tried it, still comes up with pay wall, what region are you using and are you using the free VPN or the pro version
    Heat!

I'm a fan of duckduckgo but I don't understand why you need the app. I just tried a random non-uk VPN server and the article is unlocked using a browser in incognito like chrome or Firefox.

Why the extra step? (edited)
    Author
    You don't need to use the DuckDuckGo app to be honest, but it blocks any tracking and other stuff and just makes it a more smooth and pleasant experience.
    Just use reader mode if you have an iphone/ipad
    how? and what do you mean?
    Or click on a telegraph link then immediately turn off data and WiFi.
    I use 12ft.io/ in my browser.
    I used to use 12ft ladder but I've found Webpage Archive has a better success rate.  Obviously you may have a different experience to me.   

archive.ph/
    For a long time I read the telegraph just by refreshing the page, then stopping it loading to the end. The security check seems to be the last thing that loads up so stopping the page loading early avoided a login request
    This method still works - it's easier to do when viewing via a desktop web browser than a phone.

It used to work on the NY Times website as well, but they recently changed it so the security check subsequently loads anyway, even if you've halted the page refreshing. I suspect the DT will tighten up as well in due course.
    I don't know what's happened to the Telegraph over recent years, but what used to be a fairly respectable paper leaning somewhat to the Right has now turned into a rabid broadsheet version of the Express and Mail. The writers are awful, their views are largely abhorrent, and if you read the comments made by readers you'd think we were living in Trumpland. It's lost so many readers you can buy a year's subscription to it now for £25 a lot of the time, and the place it used to hold as a tolerably serious newspaper has gone completely out of the window.
    Or just go to press reader, put your free library number in, and get hundreds of newspapers and magazines each week for free.
    I think this has been mentioned before
    Do you know of any other newspapers / magazines with no paywall when accessed from abroad?

Heat for hack.
    Thanks for the tip. Very timely indeed. I’ve shared this link with family and friends so they are properly informed in the run up to next years big event. 
    Presumably you mean the sale of the Telegraph itself to... possibly Germans now.
    I very much doubt their coverage of that squalid affair will be any more accurate than their highly questionable political reporting.
    Just tried it, it works! Good job, thanks for that
    It's a deal I guess, but not sure why I would want to pollute my thinking with their fairly extreme, if intelligently worded rhetoric. (edited)
    I switched to The Times a few years back so I don't know about the Telegraph, but I did have the misfortune to read The Mail On Sunday a while back and had to take a shower afterwards.
    what vpn for ios should i use?
    Try ProtonVPN it's free... though I am not certain if it works.
    There are usually lots of free trials for the Telegraph and you can share a subscription with one other.
    We just swap main subscriber when one runs out and haven't paid for quite awhile.
    Just a shame they no longer do the free chili, Vue and National Theatre tickets each month!
    What about the times website ?
    If you know a student, they can get it for £10 a year for 3 years.
    Top tip. Thanks

Telegraph is a bit pricey these days and not the easiest to read on a train/bus. (edited)
    Turn off JavaScript. You can get an extension for Firefox which will remember this setting for different websites.
    I use my library login on press reader to read telegraph and other international dailies but Times isn't available on it.
    Anyone know how to access Times
    I've never found one, but they do extremely good student rates and sometimes a bit of online digging can pull up a decent rate - as low as £1 a month if you hit lucky. Compared with the vile, toxic, heavily biased Right Wing Telegraph it's a pleasure to read. And you don't find an attack on the BBC on every page or endless articles by the Tufton Street mob.
's avatar