Posted 17 hours ago

Ninja Air Fryer AF300uk and Frozen Tesco Pies

Hi, i've just tried the air fryer for the 2nd time and thought i'd try something more than just chips.
I put a frozen pie with the foil case in for 8 mins/180C on airfry and the top was done but the base and the filling was still frozen. I then took the top off and put it in for another 5 mins and the middle had defrosted and the pastry was still raw. I then put the lid back on, turned it upside down and put the airfryer on bake for 5 mins. It just ended up a faff.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to cook a simple 1 person frozen pie in the oven?
Community Updates
New Comment

10 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Start upside down (foil side up) to thaw and warm through.
    Remove foil and bake bottom then turn over to brown/puff up top.
    What pies did you try and what was the regular cooking instructions? Can't see a frozen pie taking 18 minutes in an air fryer, probably more like 25-30ish?
    Author
    Usually in the oven i put it in at 180C for 15 mins, then turn it upside down, take the foil case off for another 15 mins and it comes out perfect.

The cooking instructions say 25-30 mins at 180. After 8 mins in the air fryer, the top was already done, any more and it would've been a very hard top.
    Was it placed on a rack or anything. Surely no heat will get to the bottom of it otherwise.

something like this. ninjakitchen.co.uk/pro…UUK (edited)
    Author
    I've ordered 2 of these so will try them out. Hopefully it will cook both things; whats on the rack and whatever is on the bottom plate.
    Defrost it first and cook it on 160 the 200 right at the end to crisp it off.
    I remove the foil, cook on Reheat (or 170 degrees) for about 20 minutes, then turn over and air-fry at 180 for 10 minutes. Slight faff, but works a charm on Pukka frozen pies.
    Put it on max crisp for 2 hours.. I like my pies well done!
    Follow the 'golden' Air Fryer rule

20° & 20%

Thus, 25 to 30 mins at 180 becomes a starting point of 20 to 24 mins at 160° however frozen pies tend to burn on the top as the filling is frozen, so cover with foil once brown enough.
    Author
    thanks for the guidance everyone.

Think i'll try the upside down technique first. Bake for 10 mins at 160, check, bake for another 10 mins at 160. Hopefully by then its good, turn back upright and airfry top for 5 mins at 160, check and then maybe try again with the 5 mins if needed.

Recently , mccain fries and golden drummers done in 13 mins, airfry at 180 (shaken half way).......Lovely
's avatar