Posted 20 June 2023

Is the YouTube Premium VPN workaround dead?

I'm coming the end of a 12 month via India and my current VPN (Nord) doesn't have an Indian server so I'm looking at Turkey/Ukraine/Argentina. No matter what I try, both with a Mastercard (ChaseUK) and Visa (Halifax) I repeatedly get hit with "Transaction declined. This purchase requires a payment method from your billing country"... I have gone in to google pay settings and changed my profile to that of one with an address in the country I am trying to use... I get as far as confirming the payment for Turkey in the ChaseUK app but it fails regardless and I'm hit once again with the above message.

Does this mean I need a bank account registered in the country I'm using?

I remember it being very straight forward last time with India but maybe YT are cracking down.

Would appreciate any input/suggestions! Thanks.
Community Updates
New Comment

9 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    I was in the same situation as you. My Halifax clarity card expired and I couldn’t update to the new card. I went to their website and using my Windscribe VPN logged into Argentina it was accepted and using my clarity card. No address or phone number needed. 389 ARS a month
    Author
    Argentina has been clamped down on but Ukraine worked for me. About £2 a month from September for me when my annual Turkish one expires. The problem with monthly is they can catch on at any point, no peace of mind like the annual. Fingers crossed. Ukraine didn't require an address for me and I paid with MasterCard (Chase UK)
    Author
    bump?
    Mines still active and the last payment came out of my starling ok.
's avatar