I dunno.... 1p sounds like a bargain to me.
Never got round to it. Its a fairly poor stock os, I had to disable auto channel selection to stop the acsd process running the cpu at 100%....maybe that did something
Have you tried installing Merlin firmware on it?
Agreed it is odd. Its an Asus rt-ac88u and it has always behaved a little oddly, never get chance to do any testing without taking the house offline thats my big problem.
You shouldn't, 2.4 has far better signal penetration and transmits further than 5ghz in 99% of cases. The remaining 1% is strictly Marvel conditions. I can pick up my 2.4 router signal at the end of the street, the same router on 5.8ghz barely gets picked up outside my front door. My Rc transmitters easily hit 300metre range, in open ground 1000+. To get the same range with 5ghz I need highly tuned antennas and 10x the power and that's with highly specialized equipment. I would have someone look at your router\modem just in case.