Finally ditched Sky. Should have done it sooner

Posted 23rd Nov 2023
I posted here a bit ago about leaving Sky as I had IPTV and wife watches terrestrial but it's taken me until this week to pick up the phone and do it.

Mike the Sky CS person was the only person I spoke to. In the past, it's usually at least 2 people. I said I wanted to leave because I couldn't remember the last time I watched Sky and also wanted to cut costs. I brought up the subject of getting a Freeview box to record stuff and he suggested Sky Essentials package.

Sky Essentials is £5 a month (or £10 because of extra box upstairs) and I can carry on using Sky to record. There's no tie in period so I can leave fully or come back

It was applied shortly after my call and he said I wouldn't be paying anything until January because of how they bill. Result!

Only downside I have seen is film four is SD and I've lost access to previous film four HD films. Sky news is SD. Subsidised Netflix is potentially £18.99 (or £10.99 I haven't decided yet) but I've got to add a payment method first before I can watch it so I'll wait until someone notices we don't have it first.
Community Updates
New Comment

39 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    So you havent ditched sky then? Your still paying them for Sky essentials (edited)
    Author
    Fair play, you're right. But it feels like I've ditched them
    If you know anyone that has a BT TV Pro box have a look at that ......Ive bought a few of these ....last 1 was a few weeks ago from CEX ....£62 for a B grade that was really condition but just missing a manual.

So thats a 1Tb freeview recorder using an aerial and internet connection but with Netflix/Amazon Prime/Iplayer/Itv/etc apps all on there as well.

Its nothing to do with BT internet....any internet provider is fine to use it.

So that could replace your Sky essentials sub if you wanted to ...
    I'm officially out, If they lost Premier League football it would be the end of Sky. Their content has split into fragments into other streaming services, I can count on one hand the last 18 months the TV programmes I actually wanted to watch and the quality of Cinema has fallen off a cliff. (edited)
    thank god i have not had to give that bunch of robbing bar stewards a penny in years.
    Sounds like you are paying £5 per month for Freeview, or are you getting a lot more channels.
    To be fair:
    OP is paying £5 for FV with benefit of facility to record,
    thus saving £25 on not having to buy a pants FV recorder (or £60 for dogs danglies 4k FV recorder with four integrated tuners, plus apps)
    and also not having to open door to wander outside to see if there is still some antiquated piece of metal attached to top/side of property silhouetted against sky.
    So this post is about being proud to have finally ditched sky, yet they haven't, they just downgraded to the cheapest tier🤦🏻
    Well done - I'm still procrastinating though, I haven't watched a terrestrial channel since we moved in as we could never get a signal (that was over 20 years ago now) - which is why we got NTL installed in the first place! Paying for it and never use it - even bought one of those freeview DVRs hoping to be able to watch something after the digital switchover, but it can't pick anything up and I never took it back for a refund!
    Procrastination is king. I do it all the time. You can always do it tomorrow.
    I'm paying £15 for essentials. Need to phone them up if it's a fiver now (edited)
    You must live in a nice area then!
    I did it like 15 years ago but good on ya.
    All I'm reading is, I've now decided to steal my content instead of paying for it. Well done you!
    pretty sure he doesn't care!
    Sky's too greedy now and it's probably why they don't keep ringing back their customers like they used to in the past. I left the greedy sods in August and went over to Virgin which is cheaper and getting tnt sports for free was a deal breaker. (edited)
    Ithought that was a standard price for Netflix  
    But you haven't ditched Sky. You'll be paying them £5/month
    Author
    Fair play, that's true. Series linked recording was the only thing keeping me from cancelling a long time ago
    ditched mine 4 years ago for Freesat, then one of these on Black Friday 2 years ago:
    world-of-satellite.co.uk/oct…008

bit of a faff to set up, but now linked with Plex to watch TV and recordings from anywhere:

51545124-XJsiX.jpg (edited)
    Interesting..no dish required? Or is all done through internet?
    Author
    Fair play, I'm paying them a fiver to keep their boxes so that that the missus can record her stuff.
    I don't recall saying proud; I'm doing this out of necessity. 18 years of paying for a service that I've slowly stopped watching. I'm trying to cut my cloth
    I ditched them years ago in favour of streaming. Now with the constant price prices with them all, I'm probably back to what I was paying Sky! Things were better when Netflix was the only streaming in town...
's avatar