Music Magpie in trouble?

Posted 29th Nov 2023
It's up for sale. There was news about a week ago that BT was thinking of buying it (!) Something I didn't believe for a moment.

This morning's news is that BT has no intention and a German suitor has dropped out. Shares fell 20% in a day. Will we be left with just CEX at this rate?
Community Updates
New Comment

17 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    The popularity of Klarna and similar instalment schemes is partly responsible for their problems. People rather buy a new device and spread out payments instead of getting a used one. It is bad for the environment if they fold, there’ll be a spike in e-waste.
    They haven't listed any DVD/Blu-ray preowned new listings for 20 days now.

And why they switched to the grey mailing bags to send stuff out must have been to save money, because the cases nearly always end up damaged or destroyed during shipping because the bags offer little protection.
    I've never really seen the point of these, when you can make more selling direct on eBay/Marketplace?
    People don't want the hassle/effort. We've listed stuff on eBay/Marketplace and may be it's the stuff we list but we just get scammers and/or time wasters. I can sell stuff to Music Magpie will little to no hassle and be paid really easily. Yes they take a cut and therefore you don't get back what you would if you went privately, but it's easier.
    No surprise - bought an iphone 12 pro the other month in "good" condition. It was nothing like so it got returned. I guess they keep posting out the same junk until someone accepts it, but how much does postage, returns and re processing cost them for each junk item they post out?
    I wondered about this just yesterday, they stopped selling to Northern Ireland on their eBay store, just recently. I’ve bought plenty of stuff and was happy. Shame
    MM are another company that was great previously but has gone massively downhill so I actively avoid using them - no surprise they are going under.
    Too big for their boots is a term that springs to mind 
    Shame if they are sinking. I’ve been selling to them for years after checking that I cannot do better selling on eBay of Facebook
's avatar