Amazon charge £6 for return via Hermes/ Evri collect!

Posted 2nd Aug 2022
had Evri/Hermes collect faulty item to return for refund to Amazon, hour later had refund confirmation email but they had deducted £6 for the collection. I asked Amazon live chat if it's a mistake but it's not, it's new policy! Live chat eventually as gesture of goodwill refunded £6 .
Community Updates
New Comment

27 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Damage noted on receipt is straightforward "right to reject" S20 CRA and Amazon will not expose itself to legal action by introducing a policy to flout it.

Note that "incompatible for intended purpose" within 14days of receipt would 100% be interpreted as order cancellation so liable for customer-funded return, unless trader offers gesture of goodwill order cancellations.
    Highly unlikely to be across the board "new policy", more likely a misunderstanding of return presentation options or some other misinterpretation / misrepresentation of reality / ambiguity of accuracy that is difficult to convey from a chat jockey that may have less than ideal comms skills.

Don't know the precise circumstances of the fault triggering the return but in general:

the consumer has no obligation to return a faulty product - just make it available for collection
    but if agreeing to return:
    the trader must bear any reasonable costs of returning them
    or similar ramble lifted from Consumer Rights Act, possibly S20, can't immediately recall.
    Highly unlikely Amazon has introduced a new policy to actively flout that legislation.

The consumer can of course decline any zero-cost return option provided by the trader and use any other mechanism at the consumer's cost and risk.

Replying to

"incompatible for intended purpose" is a change of mind so no consumer right to a free return.

If it is faulty then it should be a free return but you need to select an option that clearly shows it is faulty.
    Was it supplied and sold by Amazon or market place?
    Author
    Both Amazon, also I'm prime member
    "Due to new corporate greed, Amazon will now be charging customers for mistakes made by the company"
    Nailed it.
    Just checked online. I got offered to have RM pick up at home, or various drop off options and all were £0

Replying to

Sounds like you need to start ordering what you know you need instead of using Amazon as a try before you buy service.
    Was it a large item or one of particularly high value?
    Author

Replying to

I've had a 1 mere rolled up rug refused at Hermes dropoff store, but it's within permitted size, just bs from staff
    Usually have fewer issues when using call back and speaking to an actual person rather than chat, when doing stuff like this on Amazon. Chat usually gets there in the end, occasionally have to ask for a supervisor, just takes a lot longer sometimes. Get a lot fewer issues too when an item is Fulfilled By Amazon, as they'll sometimes take the hit even if it's for another seller. (edited)
    I just choose performance/quality inadequate and have never been charged for returns
    Amazon have gone awful lately. A few issues with returns. With the last one I tried to cancel an order but I was told I couldn't even though it hadn't been dispatched. I returned it the day after delivery and was told 5-7 days for refund. After 7 days no refund and was told it can take up to 14 days. 14 days now up and being told to wait 30 days! At least I didnt have to pay for the return
    Author
    I just cancelled order from two days ago no problems, swings and roundabouts
    It depends on the option you pick when creating for the return . If you click Incompatible or not useful for intended purpose all the options will be £0
    Author
    Originally chosen that option for collection by Hermes, then sat £6 charge
's avatar
Top Merchants