Amazon: Secure Delivery with a One-Time Password

Posted 4th Feb 2021
Given the value of some items, a one-time password (OTP) is required on delivery for some orders.

An OTP adds an extra layer of security to your packages.
If an OTP is required, we send a six-digit numeric OTP to your registered email address once we have dispatched the item.
You can also find the OTP by selecting Track Package beside the order in Your Orders.
Your OTP is valid until the end of the delivery day.
To use your OTP, enter it into the driver's device. The device verifies the OTP and the driver gives you the package.

If you're not available to receive the package, you can share the OTP with someone you choose and they can receive the package for you. We don't recommend sharing the OTP with an unknown person. If no one can receive the package, we'll re-attempt the delivery on the next working day.
Don't share the OTP with the driver over the phone.

Seen for the first time, big move towards drivers supposedly keeping deliveries for themselves.
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

4 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Anonymous User
    Cool. Ebay should implement this. Stop the scammers from saying it wasn't delivered.
    I thought this has been a feature for a while. I had one quite a while ago, obviously with covid they knock on my door, leave parcel and run away. Then once they get back to their van and realise they can't accept the delivery. They then come back knocking on my door "i need the password we sent". (edited)
    Frankie7704/02/2021 12:06

I thought this has been a feature for a while. I had one quite a while …I thought this has been a feature for a while. I had one quite a while ago, obviously with covid they knock on my door, leave parcel and run away. Then once they get back to their van and realise they can't accept the delivery. They then come back knocking on my door "i need the password we sent".

Seems to be entirely random when it’s required for me at least (even on items of similarly high value) but it has been a “feature” for months
    I'm sure I read on here that someone still received an empty package.

When they raised it with Amazon, they were not interested as, in their eyes, the OTP setup prevents this type of thing happening.
's avatar