Armoured CAT6 Cable - where and what to buy recommendations?

Posted 1st Aug 2023
Hi

I'm looking for an armoured CAT6 cable to my garden outbuilding that we're currently building.
But i'm unsure what and where to potentially buy so am looking for recommendations.

I've found an Oren CAT6 outdoor on amazon which is £85 for 100m but unsure if that is right vs looking at CableMonkey where there is armoured cat6 for £2.70ish per metre so over £200 for 100m...

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
many thanks
Community Updates
New Comment

14 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Flexi duct with the cat6 inside is probably cheaper and would offer adequate protection.
    Author
    Didnt realise this could be an option - always just thought the armoured cable is necessary
    100m of 15mm water pipe is about £60. More than good enough, I should think. Plus the cost of the cable...

Probably better to go for the cable you have mentioned, then (Oren)

Good description of the cable here

cloudspur.co.uk/pro…eed (edited)
    Author
    Any idea if the cable is any good?
    or anywhere i could check?
    Are you running power to the same location, could you include networking with that?
    Author
    power has already been run prior to deciding we wanted to do the garden in the end but the networking wasnt at that time.
    Try Mills Ltd.

EDIT: If you decide to go down the standard Cat6 route inside plastic pipe mentioned above, to save further money, check Facebook Marketplace for unwanted pipework people are selling off cheap or giving away. (edited)
    When I ran cables to my garage, I ran 3 cables of external grade Ethernet cable in trunking which was then buried about a foot deep.
    Never came across CAT6 armoured cable. You can use PVC or steel galvanized conduit. Dig a trench at least a foot deep, fill with some gravel then lay your conduit in it and then fill with some sand and more gravel then soil at the top. Both ends of conduit stick an elbow so it is above ground level and then a straight section, fill ends with a bit of expanding form which prevents water/insects going in and out.
's avatar