Advice for returning high value items to Amazon

Posted 21st Aug 2021
hi all

I've got to return a phone to Amazon worth £600 and I'm looking for some tips to make sure I get my money back as I know Amazon play tricky sometimes for example saying they received an empty box. I have got a royal mail label from them which is better than hermes

any other tips?

thank you in advance
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

42 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Royal Mail and do not use Hermes is the only way. Most companies won’t take any notice of videos as just because you video it doesn’t mean you then didn’t take it out the box. (edited)
    If you use Hermes it'll probably end up in Timbuktu.
    Don't use Hermes
    Use RM - they will weigh the box and the weight will be on your receipt. Whether you ship the phone or a brick back to Amazon - that's a different matter
    Just don`t use Hermes whatever you do.
    paul_merton21/08/2021 17:30

I don't think most would; and I really can't see a court or credit card …I don't think most would; and I really can't see a court or credit card company reasonably believing it's faked footage. Good grief.But as you claim it's so easy, I look forward to you uploading a convincing video of a nonexistent iPhone being put back in its box, sealed in another box, and handed over to someone

The self recorded footage could be so easily digitally altered / tampered or even faked, no right minded company would believe it was real in a dispute but your method 'may' possibly be helpful deterring an Ebay buyers scam if you were to show them the footage or even mention what you intend to do before posting the item.
    I can imagine the only way this method would stand up to any scrutiny is if you packaged the item in the post office and you were able to use their own CCTV independent system as evidence.
    ^ That would be me. As ridiculous as it sounds, I feel the best way to cover yourself from any comeback is to have someone make a video of you packing the phone at the post office and handing it over without any cuts and getting a clear shot of the IMEI of the device, preferably with it turned on and the tracking number on your receipt. I still recommend using Royal Mail over Herpes.

Ever wonder why your high value Herpes parcels suddenly stop tracking at their depots? Because lowlife scum slap fake labels to redirect parcels to themselves coventrytelegraph.net/new…844
    deleted272497921/08/2021 11:40

Comment deleted

I agree it doesn't prove anything as you could remove it from the box, or put dry ice in it to make up the weight, but it doesn't take long to stick a camera on a tripod and film packing it anyway.

At very least I'd record the IMEI if possible, and photo or video the weight of the empty packaging and the weight of the wrapped parcel, if you take a return to the post office, they usually weigh it, and sometimes record it accurately. Which might be handy if Amazon claim the box was completely empty and it ever got to a small claims court case, and amazon actually tried to contest.
    paul_merton21/08/2021 16:41

If Amazon said I had sent them an empty box, but I had a video proving …If Amazon said I had sent them an empty box, but I had a video proving otherwise, how on earth could you possibly dispute that evidence

It’s not evidence, what do you say when they say to you but you could have taken it out before posting?
    paul_merton21/08/2021 17:09

I see... you clearly didn't actually read what I wrote!

I did and it still wouldn’t stand up.
    paul_merton21/08/2021 17:17

Try reading it again in full.

Ok one last try if you think a video of you sealing a parcel and putting the item in while the postie is there would stand up in court you are wrong.

Most companies will just tell you that you could have doctored it to make it look like you did. Editing is so easy now a days and some people will do anything to get £600.

Lets agree to disagree. (edited)
    deleted7595321/08/2021 17:22

Ok one last try if you think a video of you sealing a parcel and putting …Ok one last try if you think a video of you sealing a parcel and putting the item in while the postie is there would stand up in court you are wrong. Most companies will just tell you that you could have doctored it to make it look like you did. Editing is so easy now a days and some people will do anything to get £600.Lets agree to disagree.

"Your honour I call my star witness, the actual postal worker from the footage"
    "Is this a true and accurate representation of what happened?" "Yes"
    "In your opinion was the footage doctored?" "No"
    "I rest my case"

I've seen enough TV court dramas and youtube videos to know this is exactly how it would unfold
    Power246821/08/2021 23:32

I have to disagree with recommendations not to use Hermes sent 20 items …I have to disagree with recommendations not to use Hermes sent 20 items this month all delivered fine and within 2 days sent 4 Royal Mail 2 have went missing so will be using Hermes all the time if able

I have to disagree with your disagreement. Hermes are the worst of the worst.
    Pay 70p to have the Royal Mail labelled parcel collected from your home via send.royalmail.com/col…ems

Have everything ready for when they arrive so you can film yourself:

1. closing the phone box (thus proving the phone is in it)
    2. sealing the outer box with tape (making sure to capture the return label too)
    3. handing it over to the uniformed post person.

That should take no more than 20 seconds and seems like pretty infallible cover to me.
    I've subscribed. Please keep us updated.

I wish you all the best.
    paul_merton21/08/2021 13:34

Pay 70p to have the Royal Mail labelled parcel collected from your home …Pay 70p to have the Royal Mail labelled parcel collected from your home via https://send.royalmail.com/collect/youritemsHave everything ready for when they arrive so you can film yourself:1. closing the phone box (thus proving the phone is in it)2. sealing the outer box with tape (making sure to capture the return label too)3. handing it over to the uniformed post person.That should take no more than 20 seconds and seems like pretty infallible cover to me.

As mentioned above won’t make a difference they won’t accept film and you are more at risk as the parcel won’t be weighed which helps a little but only a little.
    I have to disagree with recommendations not to use Hermes sent 20 items this month all delivered fine and within 2 days sent 4 Royal Mail 2 have went missing so will be using Hermes all the time if able
    1 good news is last week police arrested the worker who was stealing the new iPhones and other expensive items. Police found a hoard in his house along with money
    deleted271091322/08/2021 10:28

The last thing I had delivered by them was a farce. The first day I made …The last thing I had delivered by them was a farce. The first day I made sure there was someone in for the 2 hour delivery slot. 3 hours later I had an email saying they would deliver it the following day. Same thing the next day. When it finally turned up on day 3, the guy delivering it seemed absolutely clueless, I'm surprised he knew which seat to sit in when he got in the van!

That's what happens when you cut corners.

Hermes are like the Ryanair of couriers, lowest possible cost in all areas, bare minimum standards.

It's like that person that hates their job and doesn't really want to do it, but Hermes have made it their company motto. (edited)
    deleted62584122/08/2021 15:02

That's what happens when you cut corners.Hermes are like the Ryanair of …That's what happens when you cut corners.Hermes are like the Ryanair of couriers, lowest possible cost in all areas, bare minimum standards.It's like that person that hates their job and doesn't really want to do it, but Hermes have made it their company motto.

I dont get the "cut corners" comment - it wasn't my idea to use hermes, nor did I have anything to do with them not delivering it
    Not personally had issues and even returned my OP 7T after having had it for 6 months for full refund. But i'd personally take a video of the contents and sealing it then when you're dropping off take a photo of the parcel on the counter to confirm the last time you had it there was no tampering (take one for personal record imo but according to others they don't care) . 100% would use royal mail rather than Hermes (edited)
    If the return is prime and supplied by amazon use it there responsibility (edited)
    deleted7595321/08/2021 14:52

As mentioned above won’t make a difference they won’t accept film and you a …As mentioned above won’t make a difference they won’t accept film and you are more at risk as the parcel won’t be weighed which helps a little but only a little.

They will accept that.
    Couldn't you pay the extra out of your own pocket and send it Royal mail special delivery for piece of mind?
    I was told by a delivery driver SD parcels are processed in a lot more secure manner and obviously if it goes missing you'll have the extra protection.
    As previously mentioned AVOID using useless Hermes.
    paul_merton21/08/2021 15:55

They will accept that.

If you have before you have been lucky, it proves nothing.
    deleted7595321/08/2021 16:29

If you have before you have been lucky, it proves nothing.

If Amazon said I had sent them an empty box, but I had a video proving otherwise, how on earth could you possibly dispute that evidence
    deleted7595321/08/2021 16:59

It’s not evidence, what do you say when they say to you but you could have …It’s not evidence, what do you say when they say to you but you could have taken it out before posting?

I see... you clearly didn't actually read what I wrote!
    deleted7595321/08/2021 17:22

Ok one last try if you think a video of you sealing a parcel and putting …Ok one last try if you think a video of you sealing a parcel and putting the item in while the postie is there would stand up in court you are wrong. Most companies will just tell you that you could have doctored it to make it look like you did. Editing is so easy now a days and some people will do anything to get £600.Lets agree to disagree.

I don't think most would; and I really can't see a court or credit card company reasonably believing it's faked footage. Good grief.

But as you claim it's so easy, I look forward to you uploading a convincing video of a nonexistent iPhone being put back in its box, sealed in another box, and handed over to someone
    Author
    Nathan21/08/2021 11:28

Not personally had issues and even returned my OP 7T after having had it …Not personally had issues and even returned my OP 7T after having had it for 6 months for full refund. But i'd personally take a video of the contents and sealing it then when you're dropping off take a photo of the parcel on the counter to confirm the last time you had it there was no tampering (take one for personal record imo but according to others they don't care) . 100% would use royal mail rather than Hermes

AHH thank you. That's reassuring
    Author
    paul_merton21/08/2021 13:34

Pay 70p to have the Royal Mail labelled parcel collected from your home …Pay 70p to have the Royal Mail labelled parcel collected from your home via https://send.royalmail.com/collect/youritemsHave everything ready for when they arrive so you can film yourself:1. closing the phone box (thus proving the phone is in it)2. sealing the outer box with tape (making sure to capture the return label too)3. handing it over to the uniformed post person.That should take no more than 20 seconds and seems like pretty infallible cover to me.

Clever idea thank you
    Author
    PaulandPam21/08/2021 16:03

Couldn't you pay the extra out of your own pocket and send it Royal mail …Couldn't you pay the extra out of your own pocket and send it Royal mail special delivery for piece of mind?I was told by a delivery driver SD parcels are processed in a lot more secure manner and obviously if it goes missing you'll have the extra protection.As previously mentioned AVOID using useless Hermes.

I'm not sure that's possible but I'll defo look into it
    Power246821/08/2021 23:32

I have to disagree with recommendations not to use Hermes sent 20 items …I have to disagree with recommendations not to use Hermes sent 20 items this month all delivered fine and within 2 days sent 4 Royal Mail 2 have went missing so will be using Hermes all the time if able

Were these all to Amazon?
    MadeDixonsCry21/08/2021 23:35

Were these all to Amazon?

4 were Amazon I have had major issues with Royal Mail last few times I used them, when I send with Hermes to Amazon as soon as I dropped parcel off I got a full refund aswell before they actually had it back
    Power246821/08/2021 23:37

4 were Amazon I have had major issues with Royal Mail last few times I …4 were Amazon I have had major issues with Royal Mail last few times I used them, when I send with Hermes to Amazon as soon as I dropped parcel off I got a full refund aswell before they actually had it back

I'm happy for you. Other threads on here show otherwise. Not sure which is the exception tbh
    Do not use amazon lockers. They're having big delays processing high value returns.

I sent something a week on Wednesday, and it still says in transit. Cs won't do anything for high value items for 2 weeks.
    bma21/08/2021 23:38

Do not use amazon lockers. They're having big delays processing high value …Do not use amazon lockers. They're having big delays processing high value returns. I sent something a week on Wednesday, and it still says in transit. Cs won't do anything for high value items for 2 weeks.

This is stupid of them. Amazon locker must be the safest way of returning things to them.
    deleted62584122/08/2021 05:38

I have to disagree with your disagreement. Hermes are the worst of the …I have to disagree with your disagreement. Hermes are the worst of the worst.

The last thing I had delivered by them was a farce. The first day I made sure there was someone in for the 2 hour delivery slot. 3 hours later I had an email saying they would deliver it the following day. Same thing the next day. When it finally turned up on day 3, the guy delivering it seemed absolutely clueless, I'm surprised he knew which seat to sit in when he got in the van!
's avatar