Bandwidth limiting wireless router

Posted 24th Aug 2023
Hi,
Is there such a thing to buy?

I am thinking of purchasing a router which restricts bandwidth to my kids devices at night or according to a schedule. Dont want it terminating completely just going from 100mbs to say 2mb - that way they are reading and not watching youtube shorts or tiktok.

thanks
Community Updates
New Comment

6 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    You can still stream on 2meg so it would be better to dial into your router and use the parental controls feature to set certain devices a timeframe where they are unable to view streaming websites in the same way you can block the adult sites etc.

Or better yet, just tell them not to do it and enforce the rules by removing their devices if they break the curfew.
    Restricting bandwidth won't help as devices can buffer, no matter how slow the data is. I suppose it becomes boring waiting, but 2Mb or even slower is pretty fast still.

Best bet would be to cut it off all together at a certain time and that is very possible in the routers config to individual devices.
    There are a few devices to perform exactly what you want - I have 2 of them, they are called Fing boxes, however I believe the software version does the same thing! (you can download the free version and try the feature - if it works you can unlock the full features) fing.com/pro…cts

There are many ways to achieve the same result, however the easiest way is to restrict physical access. Why not convince them to leave them on charge or that they need updated overnight?
    Some might say better parenting, but it's usually those that aren't parents!
    No need for any additional equipment! It should be possible from your current ISP provided router, provided it’s a modern one.

You’ll need to log in with your administrator credentials (be sure to change the password) and you’ll be able to see all connected devices at the time listed, take note (copy and paste) of its MAC and look for a section called ‘access control’ or similar and create a new entry for the device you want to restrict access to and paste in the MAC address, from here you should be able to set a schedule e.g. 22:00-08:00, Sun-Fri or whatever.
    Author
    Thanks for all the replies thus far.

So the idea is they can still access school emails, reading materials, PDF folders and so on.

But not have sufficient bandwidth to watch youtube shorts and tik-tok at least not enjoyably anyway.
    I am sure if tiktok, youtube becomes painfully slow and buffers etc they will soon stop watching it anyway.

I just want to schedule restricted times. that is during a school week work is prioritised and when the work is done the full bandwidth is available.
    You can block access to specific websites at specific times which would probably be better than restricting bandwidth. Again many different ways to achieve that.
's avatar