Help choosing gaming monitor for my son

Posted 21st Aug 2023
My teen son currently has an Xbox series x and has asked for a gaming monitor and keyboard set up and is saving with a view to getting a gaming PC.

I’m going round in circles looking at monitors. Budget is up to approx £300 as he has birthday money.

He says refresh rate is the most important thing to look at and has been looking at 27” and 32” monitors. Is there any advantage to the different sizes? He is used to
Playing his Xbox on 32” tv.

I’m going round in circles looking at reviews and would appreciate help on the main things the monitors should have so I can narrow down. Any personal recommendations would also be appreciated.
Community Updates
New Comment

6 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    My son has had this one for nearly 2 years now….uses it for his ps5/gaming pc…never had any issues with it and he went from using a 43inch tv to this 27 inch and said it’s the perfect size for his gaming!

aoc.com/uk/…-bk
    Currently in curry’s for £229, I would say these are decent specs for that price, otherwise I would go for a dell equivalent.
    I bought this one 2 weeks ago, it was £50 cheaper.
    went for 27 as think 32 might be overkill as just at his desk.

amazon.co.uk/Del…L71
    27" best for 1440p
    32" best for 4K

You can get 4K monitors under £300 but looking they all seem to be 60Hz which is something he says he doesn't want.

You can get a 165Hz 1440p 27" for under £300, my S2721dgf was about £260, both Xbox and PS5 support the resolution now.
    I got this one for my son a couple of years ago. Still going well and has all you need.
    I did pick up another one for my other lad for around £200-250 that was a different brand but I can't remember where I got it from.

amazon.co.uk/ASU…8-3
    Author
    Thank you all for your comments. We’ve been away for a few days so just catching up
's avatar