Spy cams question

Posted 10th Aug 2023
Hi all

I have purchased 2 spy cams to use in my bedsit while I’m out this first one only seems to hold around 1hr of footage before the 32gb card is full

4181921_1.jpg

This second one holds a lot more footage but only works through WiFi which is no good as I only have my phone and if I’m not in then it’s not going to work

4181921_1.jpg

I have a generic 3200mah Powerbank that only seems to last an hour and half which is not long enough

First question if I get a 10000mah Powerbank will it last to record for around the 8hours ?

Second question do you know of any cheap hidden cameras that record to sd card for around 8 hours without WiFi ?

Thanks
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

18 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Author
    Thanks for the recommendation, unfortunately IF someone does break into my house they’ll probably Nick that as well

I was looking at the smoke detector cameras but specs say 3hour recording
    Maybe approach from different angle to lever additional benefit:

install temporary/ongoing wifi at typically £9 30days no contract,
    that would not only open up options to consider using your existing wifi cam but also the huge range of other wifi cams (including ones that have ongoing rolling freebie credible cloud footage storage) and benefit from real-time movement detection notifications, whilst also enjoying more flexible general access to web.

Lyca (EE) is under £9/m on a 3 months promo or £9.99 6months promo; similar for Lebara (Voda) - could optionally swap between the two if both have decent signal in your location.
    Put the Lyca/Lebara sim in an old handset & hotspot; if no old handset available, bung your local CEX £8 to obtain one.
    Example of excellent fully-featured semi-discreet wifi cam including rolling freebie cloud movement footage (and local microSD storage option) hovering around £16-£19 depending on whatever promo is running at time of purchase, inc delivery to Amazon pickup location:
    keepa.com/
    Author
    This is not a bad idea I will look into this many thanks for this info
    Is your bedsit a locked room where you want these cameras? You would be better to get something that is movemt activated, then it would only record if someone broke in to your room.

That power bank is tiny so a bigger one at around 20k mah should last the day.

Else Andys points above may give wider alternative options.

I guess I won't question the legitimacy of their use
    Author
    Yeah, my bedsit is a locked room in a house with 8 other tenants 2 of are junkies

We had a death in one of the rooms couple weeks ago and the day after the police took his body away the scum kicked his door in to get his stuff, then a week or so later they went in his room again, I told the landlord but he’s not bothered
    Cheap dashcam that works on movement, and a 12v battery. All of which could be hidden on a shelf. Get one with a reverse camera and you can have 2 different angles. The battery could be topped up by solar
    Author
    I was thinking about a dashcam but it was powering it I weren’t sure about so this may also be an idea
    You can get lightbulb ip cameras with 360 degree panoramic lenses, which would solve the power supply problem. eg ebay.co.uk/itm…8Yg

Not exactly well hidden as they would be obvious if the thief looks up, and you'd need to swap them for a proper bulb when you get home. They are also much bigger than a light bulb, and would need a BC to ES adaptor and lightly a new lamp shade. And being panoramic the proccesing would give low quality image of the thief.

Maybe it would be worth getting one of those sub £30 rubbish safes ideally bolted to something heavy and filling it with large well taped up bags of white powder to give a thief something he might nick and run off with. (edited)
    Purely observational:

• most dashcams require 5Volts supply - same as USB - & typically 250-300mA; less mA if the screen can be turned off. Minimum spec for USB is 5V @ 500mA so a mains USB supply could be utilised if USB cable is supplied with the cam or correct cabling can be sourced whilst being mindful that some (most?) dashcams may have bespoke USB wiring config to facilitate parking/other features.

• typical el-cheapo dashcam writes 0.5GB+ per 5min chunk, so 8hrs will likely need 64GB card.
    Can’t you just put in a larger SD card to increase the recording time or maybe even lower the quality of the recording to get more time?
    Author
    Unfortunately 32gb micro sd card is the maximum size it says it supports and as it’s cheap Chinese rubbish I am unable to lower the quality of the recordings

Edit it’s more the battery life as they have loop recording but the battery dies, my generic 3200mah Powerbank lasts about an hr and half (but it could be faulty as I got it from cex) (edited)
    You need wifi and a movement activated camera that sends footage to your phone therwise they'll just take your camera and footage
    Author
    I was hoping for a spy camera so I could hide it

Although I am looking into the recommendation regarding the WiFi option (edited)
's avatar