Washing Machine experts! - making a grinding sound when on "spin"

Posted 1st Aug 2023
Something metal clearly trapped inside the washing machine but more noticeable when on spin mode. It makes a grinding and scratching sound when wash turns to spin. There's nothing around the rubber seal and I can't see anything trapped inside. When I spin it using my hand in an empty drum. No sound? Help! It's a Bosch Machine
Community Updates
New Comment

11 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    If there is a female in the house, have you checked for a missing bra wire - very common and makes a similar grinding / scratching noise. (Voice of experience here).
    That happened on our very first washing machine and as it was under warranty we had the engineer attend to resolve (Free of charge - those where the days!)
    Sounds like maybe motor bearings gone and under load spinning faster it gets louder ?
    When you spin it by hand does it feel notchy or is it smooth ?
    Author
    Smooth by hand. Only when it's on automatic spin. It makes a grinding sound. It's like something is in there but I can't find anything
    Have you taken out the sump pump filter and checked there's nothing trapped in it or the in vanes of the pump impeller behind it, since the pump will run when the machine spins, but not when you turn by hand?

How old is the machine, and does it have a split tub? Any play in the bearings before the tub moves if you lift the drum?

I suppose you could take the element out in case something has got tangled around it and get a rather restricted view in the bottom of the tub.
    Author
    Yes I've removed the rubbish from the bottom. It's 3 years old.
    I’d second the underwire from a bra , they slip through the holes in the drum , but if you spin it really slowly and shine a torch in you can see the end of them sometimes , quite often the ends are a little wider than the rest of the wire and painted white ( no idea why! ) . If you find one then it’s normally just gentle wiggling to pull it back though .
    I can solve that "painted white" mystery for you - the painted white part is designed to prevent chaffing/laceration to the wearer... (gravity prevents the other end from having the same effect)
's avatar