Cheap Decent Tablet with Sim for Flat Entry System?

Posted 9th Aug 2023
Hi All,

My local council is replacing the intercom to the block of flats I live in with a system that will call your mobile phone and provide voice/video to the person who's downstairs.

I personally don't want to be receiving calls to my mobile so would prefer to have the calls go to a tablet mounted on the wall with a PAYG SIM card in it.

Would really appreciate any suggestions of a cheap tablet with a decent screen resolution that could fit the bill?

Key Features:

- Long battery life (infrequent dismounts for charging)
- Decent screen resolution
- SIM card capable
Community Updates
New Comment

6 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Shouldn’t the council provide something? What happens if you’re a non tech person and don’t have any devices? What happens with multiple tenants? What happens when someone is away, moves out, loses their phone?
    This is what I was going to say
    This one? Only 1 left though.

ebay.co.uk/itm…091?epid=7051902045&hash=item529054163b:g:eLQAAOSwXWhj-QMO&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAAwPsVNYahxIC9MvCfn58e2QKh6vfYJ5ys0VjBrM%2Fq1UWiLV8%2BfKq0elvnVF4LFVI7gUFkIF2swGe77qLmWVZjvGHvTE%2BeCuH8ymxPDBCDZlokMngP98lMkBMQacHB8nCPAaQ1LsOBFoY1ps5qE4%2F1vmMUlU5YbxTgnwxEJsCwaonMArfJkHOJynH6WfOuKOFk72RnN%2BhR5PAFQ6EfFhLOIRw1LVUBQotIUNCwhEbYZU96YFxamJGdZuB5pI%2BO7Ue2hg%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR7r2opm7Yg
    I can't be certain, but I suspect this arrangement is not "calling" your mobile phone as such. More than likely it is "contacting" your device (I agree it could be tablet/phone). The distinction could be important for a number of reasons. One, what happens if you are engaged on a call when someone arrives? Two, what happens if you don't have phone/tablet? And three, if in fact it is an app (as I suspect) is the app compatible with ALL Android Tablets (including Amazon and Samsung) and is the app compatible with ALL iPADs?

Will it work with a laptop?
    Author
    Hi Tardytortoise - they're good questions.

The company (Intratone) came ahead of installation to take our phone numbers. We were also told that no smart phone was needed, only a phone line with a reachable number. Reading the leaflet we got (which could be generic for all Intratone installations), it says the app will launch if someone calls, which seems to contradict the above.

I've just tried installing the app on my iPhone 12 and it says Video call is not supported which could be due to the type of system they've installed downstairs.
's avatar