eBay Buyer has had item for 18 days, now potentially broken it and opened up Return Request

Posted 25th Jan 2022
I sold a headset. The buyer has had the item 18 days now, but yesterday opened up a Returns Request which was automatically accepted by eBay as per the below:

In line with the relevant eBay policy, this return has been automatically approved and we've asked the buyer to send the item back. After the buyer dispatches the item, we'll share the tracking information with you. Please inspect the item before issuing a refund. View the return details. You must issue a refund within 2 days of item being delivered.

They've sent the item back today (it's now in transit) and when I look into the details, the buyer gave the following explanation:

Reason for return: Doesn't work or is defective
Comments: The earphones have come off .

The headset was incredibly well packaged in a purpose made box, so wouldn't be able to move at all, in the way it was packed. The only way the headphones would come off is if the item was taken out of the protective packaging and they were handled forcefully.

Going by the above comment, it doesn't say 'Broken on arrival' or anything to that effect and the 18 days that have passed suggests that they've had an accident with them some time after they arrived, broken them and now believes they can return for a refund.

Worst of it is, this was one where a percentage was getting donated to charity too, so they might lose out.

I just wondered where I stand on this when eBay has automatically approved the return. The buyer didn't contact me at all.

I'll see what condition the item comes back in, but any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Community Updates
New Comment

23 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Don’t refund the butter when you receive the item. Instead, talk to eBay through the chat function. Explain to them the situation, it was working and fully functional when you sent it, and the buyer has broken it. I’ve found that they will say they’re transferring you to a special team, and that person will, as a good will gesture, refund the buyer themselves and you won’t lose out (apart from the return postage).
    In most cases theres nothing wrong with it even if they say. They just change their mind and don't want to pay p&p so they lie. Hopefully comes back in good order.
    eastavos27/01/2022 20:07

As an update the headset arrived back today. The clear plastic mould that …As an update the headset arrived back today. The clear plastic mould that housed and protected the headset had not been returned in the box, so the headset was rattling around in the box with three loose screws. It's in a bad state really and it looks like when the buyer has slid the earphones out (to adjust them), they've just yanked them far too hard and it's snapped the screws. I've spoken to an eBay agent tonight, explained the fact that the buyer gave positive feedback, then later claimed they were broken. After 45 mins or so (it felt like longer), they finally came around to my way of thinking and have closed the case. I keep the sale, the credit goes back on my account next month, whilst eBay themselves refunds the buyer. I'm glad to get it sorted on my side, but feel this buyer is a lucky person getting their money back (even if it's coming from eBay) for effectively breaking an item (accident it may be) and mis-using the returns policy as a result.The headset can't be fixed, so I'll be taking it to Curry's as they accept small electricals for recycling.Thanks for all the advice here and sorry to hear others were not as fortunate, especially the leather jacket and Mega Drive CD stories.

Glad it worked out to the point where you werent completely screwed. Always worth having a chat with them, especially if youre a more experienced seller, as there's always a chance that they'll be lenient.
    Author
    As an update the headset arrived back today. The clear plastic mould that housed and protected the headset had not been returned in the box, so the headset was rattling around in the box with three loose screws. It's in a bad state really and it looks like when the buyer has slid the earphones out (to adjust them), they've just yanked them far too hard and it's snapped the screws.

I've spoken to an eBay agent tonight, explained the fact that the buyer gave positive feedback, then later claimed they were broken. After 45 mins or so (it felt like longer), they finally came around to my way of thinking and have closed the case. I keep the sale, the credit goes back on my account next month, whilst eBay themselves refunds the buyer.

I'm glad to get it sorted on my side, but feel this buyer is a lucky person getting their money back (even if it's coming from eBay) for effectively breaking an item (accident it may be) and mis-using the returns policy as a result.

The headset can't be fixed, so I'll be taking it to Curry's as they accept small electricals for recycling.

Thanks for all the advice here and sorry to hear others were not as fortunate, especially the leather jacket and Mega Drive CD stories.
    Author
    Mclwrth25/01/2022 23:44

Did they happen to leave positive feedback?

Haha. I thought, nah, they can't have done. Just checked and their feedback is:

"pleased with item, good seller."

Surely in my favour if I speak to eBay as suggested by lolmonster (edited)
    And that’s why I don’t sell anything on eBay anymore. The refund will automatically come out of your bank account, just hope they are saying it’s faulty for the free return and not sending back a brick 🧱.
    Ebay always seem with the buyer these days, thats why i love to shop there.
    Pre xmas I bought an ultrasonic cleaner. It was late at night, and it was shiny.
    Delivery speed was good, but it could not even clean debris that could be flicked off with a finger nail. I tested it and it was reading nothing like the specs advertised. The seller was told within hours of its arrival.
    I was quite happy to exchange for a replacement. It's electronics delivered by courier, so it is possible to be a rogue unit.
    For almost a month the seller tried to fob me off with a partial refund and keep the unit, perhaps to sell on Ebay (hang on, it's broken), giving sob stories of how they only made 2% on the item. (The same item was £100 more expensive on their ebay listing at that point)
    I eventually got Ebay involved who told them to issue a postage service. Nothing happened.
    The seller then wanted my paypal to offer me the cost for returning. They got it. No action.
    Another 9 days later I get Ebay to step in. The assistant closed the case in my favour, keep the unit, money back on to the card.
    Another 6 days and no refund, so I chase again. This time an agent demanded I comply with sending my paypal details, telling me that the case had not been closed, and that I was soon to lose my money if I did not comply. He was told to read the last notes, and that the seller had responded to my email with the paypal details, but chose to ignore it and offer another sob story and discount. The agent read, relented, apologised, closed the case, refunded my money, and told me to keep the box.
    6 days later the money is on my account, I have a box that goes buzz and nothing else, and the best part is that I kept the Nectar Points I had got with the sale. Handy as I had bought when the offer was on, so I am £45 up in Points.
    And the seller is going to get a kicking from ebay because I proved they were just a dropshipper. (edited)
    "...Please inspect the item before issuing a refund."
    Why?
    Wouldn't a more appropriate phrase be
    "...Please inspect the item to determine if a refund is appropriate"?
    Obviously not, as ebay has already decreed the course of action = refund.
    Buyer says, item damaged or item not as described and ebay will issue a refund.
    In short mate I don't think you can do a lot unless you can actually prove the buyer had broken them which is near impossible.

You will not win with Ebay so take the hit and sell elsewhere.
    That's eBay for you!
    Did they happen to leave positive feedback?
    Unfortunately it is very unlikely you will win this. They have returned the item and an item doesn't need to immediately show it is broken for them to say you did not advertise it correctly.

Ebay will definitely side with the buyer unless you can prove they broke it. A good example, for phones, would be if you can prove you sent something without a shattered screen and then the buyer claims it has a broken screen etc. (edited)
    In my experience ebay always side with the buyer. I sold a brand new diesel leather jacket to an ebayer and after approx 3 weeks of having it they sent me an email saying they wanted a refund as the item 'didn't fit right'.

I contacted ebay customer support over the telephone and they told me I had to send them a return postage label. The buyer sent the jacket back to me and the jacket had clearly been worn....there were sweat stains in the jacket lining....it stank of aftershave and there was also damage to the leather. You could see from all my listing photos that the jacket was pristine/brand new with tags.

The buyer didn't respond to any of the messages where you try to resolve things with them.

I took pics of all of the damage etc.... and sent them to the buyer and ebay and spent approximately 2 - 3 hours on the phone to different ebay customer service agents and their supervisors. Despite having a 100 percent positive feedback rating for over 1000+ transactions over 17 years.....they gave the buyer a full refund on the date that 'ebay agree to step in'......and told me that was their policy despite agreeing that the system was unfair.

It didn't affect my feedback rating but I lost all faith in ebay protecting sellers. There are loads of similar threads in relation to buyers ripping off sellers. Hence why a lot of people are now using Facebook marketplace and similar to sell items.

I hope it gets resolved in your favour 🙏
    Imagine you are the buyer and they were received broken and the seller said what you’re saying. What would you do then? EBay have to side somewhere and unfortunately (in this case) it’s the buyer
    Just cancel your direct debit for eBay and close account. Worst they can do is take you to court which is good as you can have your say and be heard...
    Wait until it's back and you can inspect otherwise you are prejudging.

If it arrives perfect offer a partial refund (deduct your costs). If broken, could it be genuine or is it definitely down to the buyer?

Always talk to a physical ebay agent and draw their attention to their own T&Cs (detailed on their site) - including the section on fraud. (edited)
    As the buyer has left feedback they’ve either broken it while using it or found something better/cheaper. Hopefully won’t be the good old buyer switch-er-roo.

This is why I refuse to use eBay, they treat all sellers as if they are a business seller with business terms and conditions.
    AWard91126/01/2022 05:35

In my experience ebay always side with the buyer. I sold a brand new …In my experience ebay always side with the buyer. I sold a brand new diesel leather jacket to an ebayer and after approx 3 weeks of having it they sent me an email saying they wanted a refund as the item 'didn't fit right'.I contacted ebay customer support over the telephone and they told me I had to send them a return postage label. The buyer sent the jacket back to me and the jacket had clearly been worn....there were sweat stains in the jacket lining....it stank of aftershave and there was also damage to the leather. You could see from all my listing photos that the jacket was pristine/brand new with tags.The buyer didn't respond to any of the messages where you try to resolve things with them.I took pics of all of the damage etc.... and sent them to the buyer and ebay and spent approximately 2 - 3 hours on the phone to different ebay customer service agents and their supervisors. Despite having a 100 percent positive feedback rating for over 1000+ transactions over 17 years.....they gave the buyer a full refund on the date that 'ebay agree to step in'......and told me that was their policy despite agreeing that the system was unfair.It didn't affect my feedback rating but I lost all faith in ebay protecting sellers. There are loads of similar threads in relation to buyers ripping off sellers. Hence why a lot of people are now using Facebook marketplace and similar to sell items.I hope it gets resolved in your favour ?

That story is making me mad, can't believe how eBay let a dodgy buyer get off with a refund especially after you've provided watertight evidence that it isn't due, so now you're stuck out of pocket with a jacket that you'd be lucky to get anything for.
    I once sold a mint condition boxed like new Mega Drive CD.

Guy reported it arrived not as described, posted it back without any messaging and it was missing all the inserts and manuals and replaced with damaged bits.

I had 2 days to refund, in that time i contacted support with photos of my original item and what i got back. They declined my appeal and refunded him the £300 he paid. I quote the agent saying "I could not prove thats how I sent it out, so the photos did not matter"

Was really upsetting. (edited)
    deleted192272226/01/2022 07:37

Just cancel your direct debit for eBay and close account. Worst they can …Just cancel your direct debit for eBay and close account. Worst they can do is take you to court which is good as you can have your say and be heard...

They will send debt collectors
    This is why you should no longer use eBay. The more
    people that stop using it, the better.
    darkclouds26/01/2022 21:05

They will send debt collectors

Yes hence the bit about court. Debt collectors are issued by the courts after a hearing which op should win in court...

any collector what comes without a court order are nothing...
's avatar
Top Merchants