Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Ebay now charging their fees if you end a listing early!

deleted816771's avatar deleted816771
Posted 18th Jun 2013
So I just noticed a mistake in one of my ebay auction descriptions and so as it had several bids, I decided to end it early. When I tried this I got the following message:

- In an effort to minimise disappointing experiences for buyers, we discourage you from ending too many listings early. If you've already ended another listing early during this calendar year, we may charge you an End auction-style listing early fee to end this listing.

So apparently ebay are now charging their 10% fees if you cancel a listing with any bids on (you get 1 free cancellation a year - thanks ebay)! Crazy really. Has anyone else noticed this and also I was wondering, what if you cancel each bid in an auction manually and then end the auction, would you still be charged the 10%?

- Claire
Community Updates
New Comment

39 Comments

sorted by

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

I'm sticking with Naive
    lesdenn

I did a round trip of 50 miles to view a car and told the guy I was … I did a round trip of 50 miles to view a car and told the guy I was interested . When I got back the guy had ended it, I was pretty ****** off.

Why? You didn't buy it - maybe someone came straight after you and stumped up the cash instead of leaving the seller "hanging".
    deeky

Because he was doing it the correct way?

Oh dear ... pretty naive then IMO.
    Naive.
    just let the auction end, they wont bleeding pay anyway.
    Finally something to teach the sellers who end auctions early because their listings don't get high enough bids, just like shill bidders a pain in the ass
    TUSSFC

Oh dear ... pretty naive then IMO.

Naive or just 'straight up'?
    Ebay is like that, it's open to people offering money to end things early. Although this isn't necessarily the right way the winner is normally the person who offers cash before the auction ends and get what they want normally at a better price.

I've sold many cars through ebay over the years and have always had cash offers that i've accepted to end the auction before the last 24 hours.

The only people i can see losing out is ebay and the bidders who think that all ebay auctions run until the end and that the seller cares about ebay rules and what is morally right i guess.

Dog eat dog in this world.
    Totally agree with TUSSFC, people who say otherwise are living in cloud cuckoo land. Until ebay do something to enforce payment, ie remove the money from the buyers account at the end then this will always happen. Wheres the penalty for creating a new account, winning a load of stuff and not paying?

To the person that drove "50 miles" lol boohoo, I put it to you that you wasted his time, and are just another ebay tyre kicker. What gives you the right to occupy a mans time and then say "ah i was interested". Interested doesnt cut it, money talk bullsh*t walks. I'll always sell outside ebay because not only do i advertise elsewhere in this free country there is ONE main reason why the sellers should do this.

Has anyone ever been to a car auction? Seen what happens to non payers? The 10% fees are absurd because what do ebay do to warrant this? NOTHING! Go to a car auction and try making an excuse how your 5 year old son bid last second and you will see what happens to non payers there. An auction is for something that is to be sold significantly cheaper than the retail price, so all these bargain hunters cant have it both ways.

So if you're in the real world, pay your listing fees and sell off ebay first chance you get to a genuine buyer, not some waster that wants to go and think about it.
    And who will enforce those words "you are bidding to buy not to view"? You? Me? Ebay? Exactly. If there was a problem with the car and he walked away then fine, but if not and he thought he would go away then bid, then he's a tyre kicker. Ive been in the trade for years and I've got a vast wealth of experience. There's buyers out there and then there's dreamers. If he wanted the car enough then he'd have asked the price and the deal would hopefully have gone down.

Why should the seller owe any potential buyer anything on ebay? Is it these potential buyers that pay people's bills etc? What so if somebody came and offered the guy way more than the ask price he should refuse it based on some sort of allegiance to a bunch of people that are hoping to jip him by bidding at the last second, coming round and then negotiating from there? Dont think so pal
    rdtorres

Feisty!!

[image missing]

sounds fine to me..

and try it out n report back.

cool.
    I had to cancel 2 auctions this morning due to duplicates when relisting, not heard anything like this though
    I agree it does sound fair. It does say they MAY charge so it depends how much you do it not 1 free and then they charge. also it says an early fee not 10%

(edited)
    http://announcements.ebay.com/2012/10/seller-reminder-fee-for-ending-select-auction-style-listings-early-in-effect-today-pictures-now-required-in-all-listings/

Do you not read your eBay annoucements?

They implemented this new update last October.

Triple check before you list
    What if you cancel all the bids first ?
    A lot of people will just create another account and place the highest bid then report it as a non payer, as long as you can take basic steps not to be detected it's easy to get away with. Hopefully ebay will then do something about 1 day old unverified accounts placing bids on high value items, seemingly just for the lolz.
    I did a round trip of 50 miles to view a car and told the guy I was interested . When I got back the guy had ended it, I was pretty ****** off.
    Yeah early ending is annoying
    whatsThePoint

why would they buy it if it was being auctioned?

Because that's just how it works with car sales. Make someone a cash offer on the spot and they will sell the majority of the time (provided it's a fair offer) as it's more convenient than waiting for an auction to end & then hoping the top bidder follows through with the purchase.

I know if I viewed a car being auctioned and I wanted it - I'd make a cash offer there and then. I wouldn't drive 50 miles home and then hope the auction runs until the end.
    whatsThePoint

you make a strong case for charging people who end auctions early to … you make a strong case for charging people who end auctions early to avoid fee's

But aren't fees structured differently for motor auctions? i.e. you pay £28 or thereabouts to list but no fee at the end? Can't remember tbh ... it's been a while.

Edit - additionally, I didn't say I disagreed with the fee for ending early
    (edited)
    Fair enough. Although I fail to see what the fees have to do with my original point. Still works out cheaper/the same to end early and sell cash in hand. So the seller isn't really losing out at all (or being "punished") in the case described by the other poster.

It only punishes them if they end early without actually selling the item.
    Where do you get the 10% figure? Do you mean 10% of the last bid before you end it?
    TUSSFC

Why? You didn't buy it - maybe someone came straight after you and … Why? You didn't buy it - maybe someone came straight after you and stumped up the cash instead of leaving the seller "hanging".

Because he was doing it the correct way?
    TUSSFC

Naive.

It's against eBay rules to deal outside of ebay if you've got an auction running.

I'm sticking with 'straight up'.
    Just sold my car using Gumtree it's far more relaxed with no fees. Bought my new one from Gumtree as well. Yes I know it's an eBay company :-)
    simplyjimbo

Finally something to teach the sellers who end auctions early because … Finally something to teach the sellers who end auctions early because their listings don't get high enough bids

I don’t think that’s the case because if you have bids you can’t end an auction early within the last 24 hours and often the serious bidding only starts then.
    If I was so inclined I wouldn’t stop an auction early due to low bidding but due to lack of interest AND low bidding. If you have 1 low bid and 1 person watching an item then there’s a good chance it will sell cheaply.
    Best to research if an item is likely to attract much interest and price accordingly.
    For common items I tend to start at 99p as I know there’ll be a lot of interest. For obscure items I might well use BIN.

ebay is for buyers, but if sellers get such a bad experience then there will be no sellers to buy from!
    Thewheelslimshady

To the person that drove "50 miles" lol boohoo, I put it to you that you … To the person that drove "50 miles" lol boohoo, I put it to you that you wasted his time, and are just another ebay tyre kicker. What gives you the right to occupy a mans time and then say "ah i was interested".

What an astonishing thing to say! A buyer who drives 50 miles to view a car and then elects to do the correct thing and bid for it is a tyre kicker? The bloke who's 'time he wasted' advertised his car on ebay and I can virtually guarantee that included in the description would be words to the effect of "you are bidding to buy, not to view", which is exactly what 'boohoo boy' did.

If this first post of yours is of the quality we can expect from your future posts, then don't slam the door on your way out.

Thewheelslimshady

And who will enforce those words "you are bidding to buy not to view"? … And who will enforce those words "you are bidding to buy not to view"? You? Me? Ebay? Exactly. If there was a problem with the car and he walked away then fine, but if not and he thought he would go away then bid, then he's a tyre kicker. Ive been in the trade for years and I've got a vast wealth of experience. There's buyers out there and then there's dreamers. If he wanted the car enough then he'd have asked the price and the deal would hopefully have gone down. Why should the seller owe any potential buyer anything on ebay? Is it these potential buyers that pay people's bills etc? What so if somebody came and offered the guy way more than the ask price he should refuse it based on some sort of allegiance to a bunch of people that are hoping to jip him by bidding at the last second, coming round and then negotiating from there? Dont think so pal

I've never heard anyone spout so much crap on here before. Ever.

You seriously need to go away and do some research about what ebay actually is. In fact, I'll save you some time.

IT'S AN AUCTION SITE!!

AUCTION SITE!!

FFS.

(nice like, stallker boy)
    (edited)
    deeky

I've never heard anyone spout so much crap on here before. Ever.You … I've never heard anyone spout so much crap on here before. Ever.You seriously need to go away and do some research about what ebay actually is. In fact, I'll save you some time.IT'S AN AUCTION SITE!!AUCTION SITE!!FFS. (nice like, stallker boy)

Feisty!!
    It's a free listing day today, so if you decide to end the auction early for whatever reason then you won't incur a listing fee or charge, is that correct?
    I have an expensive item ending tomorrow that's developed a technical fault overnight. They won't let me end it without paying final value fee.

So, I'm getting a friend to vastly overbid on the item via a snipe tool, then we'll both agree to cancel the transaction.

~shrug~

Sue me.
    One way round it it to just revise the item to a ridiculously high price to ensure it doesn't sell, i realize this could cost a couple of quid but better that than 10% especially if its a 300 quid item.
    I only list items with Buy it now prices, If i have someone wanting to buy an item outside of ebay we normally split the difference in terms of fees so we are both happy. I think the 10% they charge is a tad on the high side. I guess you could just drop the price to a quid on the item and then end it, leaving you with minimal valuation fees to be paid.

Ebay are already losing alot of big sellers to Amazon, are they getting too big now???
    deeky

It's against eBay rules to deal outside of ebay if you've got an auction … It's against eBay rules to deal outside of ebay if you've got an auction running.I'm sticking with 'straight up'.

Ebay rules lol its just a corporation making money not the police! If you want something buy it there and then! If your selling something sell it there and then if the price is right....no moral high ground when it comes to buying and selling thats ehy your on here for a cheeky bargain or some glitch or a cheap item nobody knows about, ebay wont loose sleep over your fees nor will they go bankrupt, the guy was naive thinking that the seller would wait to sell his car through ebay, a sale is a sale and ebay can **** off if they think they can tell me when and how i sell my stuff they are just another tool for sales not exclusivey entitlled to sell your stuff you may have other listed the car or item elsewhere too why should ebay get a cut then!?
    I just ended an item in error and was charged £10+ even though I wanted to re-list the item but was prevented from doing this be eBay. Surely if I was allowed to do that it would not have upset any bidders as they would be able to see "view re-listed item".
    Why do people keep justifying ebay's rip off charges ? What have ebay got that you dont mind giving them all your cash .ebay and paypal rip us all off and we dont mind ! Bizare ..
Top Merchants