Gmail messages 'read by human third parties'

Found 3rd Jul
Google has confirmed that private emails sent and received by Gmail users can sometimes be read by third-party app developers, not just machines. bbc.co.uk/new…263
Community Updates
Misc
28 Comments
This has been going on for years and I have always warned people against using Gmail. I would strongly recommend having Outlook as your email to protect your privacy.
They already said that they read your email.

So, most people use Microsoft mail or some other private email method for any private matters.
Yoshi, there's a move going on right now to grab control of the internet.
Click any wikipedia page to read the banner.

In the old days the powers that be could control the people by controlling the info fed to them, the web changed all that.
The ptb have been working flat out with world governments and other interested parties to gain control of the net in order to regain control of the info - all of course, in order to once again gain control of the people.
tryn2help4 h, 49 m ago

Yoshi, there's a move going on right now to grab control of the internet. …Yoshi, there's a move going on right now to grab control of the internet. Click any wikipedia page to read the banner.In the old days the powers that be could control the people by controlling the info fed to them, the web changed all that. The ptb have been working flat out with world governments and other interested parties to gain control of the net in order to regain control of the info - all of course, in order to once again gain control of the people.

Google is becoming an unstoppable force infiltrating all areas of society. They even have a contract with the Pentagon working with the Department for Defense to improve the accuracy of drone strikes. I see a future where Google video surveillance systems are everywhere watching our every move! They are strongly rumoured to be ready to enter the video games console market and no doubt will try to take over and dominate yet another area of our lives.

"Gmail is the world's most popular email service with 1.4 billion users."
Use a Chinese phone or a stupid phone with no Google, 1 billion people do not use any Google service.
Pink_Yoshi_Rebel_Army1 h, 52 m ago

Google is becoming an unstoppable force infiltrating all areas of society. …Google is becoming an unstoppable force infiltrating all areas of society. They even have a contract with the Pentagon working with the Department for Defense to improve the accuracy of drone strikes. I see a future where Google video surveillance systems are everywhere watching our every move! They are strongly rumoured to be ready to enter the video games console market and no doubt will try to take over and dominate yet another area of our lives."Gmail is the world's most popular email service with 1.4 billion users."

1.4 billion users has to be taken with a pinch of salt as a lot of people have multiple accounts. I have 27 Gmail accounts, most of them redundant but still appear active.
chocci2 h, 3 m ago

1.4 billion users has to be taken with a pinch of salt as a lot of people …1.4 billion users has to be taken with a pinch of salt as a lot of people have multiple accounts. I have 27 Gmail accounts, most of them redundant but still appear active.

Why so many?!
This makes my blood boil. If you give permission for app developers to access your account then that's what will happen. Its no different to giving someone the key to your house then complaining they can come in at any time. I set a reminder in my calendar to check Google security settings every few months. Just noticed I've given calender access to a developer, as this was for the world cup football schedule. Takes 30 seconds to look at security settings and review. I can't see the problem myself. Still good the BBC flagged this up but those that worry can encrypt Gmail with a key, but who really wants to mess about with that. Stick with Gmail as nothing wrong with it
Edited by: "wayners" 4th Jul
I don't see the surprise with this. If you grant permission to a third-party to read your emails, of course there is a possibility that that a human at that third-party will read those emails. This is why you should only give permission to access your account to trusted sources.
jamie01515 m ago

I don't see the surprise with this. If you grant permission to a …I don't see the surprise with this. If you grant permission to a third-party to read your emails, of course there is a possibility that that a human at that third-party will read those emails. This is why you should only give permission to access your account to trusted sources.

One could not do what you said, either give permission or you cannot install app or there is no ability to turn off permission anyway unless one gets sophisticated with enough knowledge.
splender6 m ago

One could not do what you said, either give permission or you cannot …One could not do what you said, either give permission or you cannot install app or there is no ability to turn off permission anyway unless one gets sophisticated with enough knowledge.

Yeah, which is why you only install apps that you trust. Unless this involved the official Gmail/Inbox app?
jamie0151 h, 21 m ago

Why so many?!

tesco £15 off first shop for new customers
splender1 h, 26 m ago

One could not do what you said, either give permission or you cannot …One could not do what you said, either give permission or you cannot install app or there is no ability to turn off permission anyway unless one gets sophisticated with enough knowledge.

None of my 50+apps has permission to access Gmail although what's app had permission to access my Google drive? Not now though as I cleared that. Still works. Easy to see what's happening at the security check though.
wayners9 m ago

None of my 50+apps has permission to access Gmail although what's app had …None of my 50+apps has permission to access Gmail although what's app had permission to access my Google drive? Not now though as I cleared that. Still works. Easy to see what's happening at the security check though.

Therefore, you are safe, your life uses only Gmail.
wayners4th Jul

This makes my blood boil. If you give permission for app developers to …This makes my blood boil. If you give permission for app developers to access your account then that's what will happen. Its no different to giving someone the key to your house then complaining they can come in at any time. I set a reminder in my calendar to check Google security settings every few months. Just noticed I've given calender access to a developer, as this was for the world cup football schedule. Takes 30 seconds to look at security settings and review. I can't see the problem myself. Still good the BBC flagged this up but those that worry can encrypt Gmail with a key, but who really wants to mess about with that. Stick with Gmail as nothing wrong with it

"Another firm - eDataSource Inc - said engineers had previously reviewed emails to improve its algorithms."

"The companies said they had not asked users for specific permission to read their Gmail messages, because the practice was covered by their user agreements."

"You can spend weeks of your life reading terms and conditions," said Prof Alan Woodward from the University of Surrey."

"It might well be mentioned in there, but it's not what you would think of as reasonable, for a human being in a third-party company to be able to read your emails."
"If You're Not Paying for It, You're the Product" This is often quoted and I agree. If the 1 in a million change somebody reads one of my emails I don't care. I'm sure it's just software scanning emails, and you can encrypt or pay for a secure email client if needed. Heard it discussed so many times on tech podcasts. Just be careful sending bank details or sensitive information. Use common sense. Text. What's app and all message services are never 100% safe. I remember postman opening letters as big case in my city made news a few years bank. Maybe we should get candle wax out again and seal letters. Lol
Edited by: "wayners" 4th Jul
myaccount.google.com/int…kup

If you go here you can see what apps you have given permission to access your Google account under Third Party Access and remove their permission.
Saturn1 h, 29 m ago

[Image] I'm confused now .....

LOL - Its tesco, every little helps and they get a lot of my money still
wayners4th Jul

This makes my blood boil. If you give permission for app developers to …This makes my blood boil. If you give permission for app developers to access your account then that's what will happen. Its no different to giving someone the key to your house then complaining they can come in at any time. I set a reminder in my calendar to check Google security settings every few months. Just noticed I've given calender access to a developer, as this was for the world cup football schedule. Takes 30 seconds to look at security settings and review. I can't see the problem myself. Still good the BBC flagged this up but those that worry can encrypt Gmail with a key, but who really wants to mess about with that. Stick with Gmail as nothing wrong with it

What other tips do you recommend wayners? Any articles worth reading up on?
Thankfully I've never used Gmail. Scoundrels.
Pink_Yoshi_Rebel_Army3rd Jul

This has been going on for years and I have always warned people against …This has been going on for years and I have always warned people against using Gmail. I would strongly recommend having Outlook as your email to protect your privacy.

Use Outlook so Microsoft can read your email as well as Google (you don't seriously think Google let a little thing like that stop them reading yoru email do you).
chocci18 h, 49 m ago

tesco £15 off first shop for new customers

Would the full-stop method not do the trick? No need to set up a new email account.
copperspock3 h, 16 m ago

Would the full-stop method not do the trick? No need to set up a new email …Would the full-stop method not do the trick? No need to set up a new email account.

This was 2 years ago and wasn't aware of that trick then.
Now i regret using Gmail for my world domination plans.

Surely people know what apps they have given what permission to? Android made that really simple ages ago.
LemonHead16 h, 39 m ago

What other tips do you recommend wayners? Any articles worth reading up on?

Use ProtonMail email. You can password protect emails with this free service. You can also watch youtube on how to encrypt Gmail but I'm not bothering. I guess it depends on what you are sending via email but I don't worry about it. I am really happy with Gmail and is my preferred email service untill I hear any that's worrying. Not heard anything worrying yet
Edited by: "wayners" 5th Jul
wayners5 h, 43 m ago

Use ProtonMail email. You can password protect emails with this free …Use ProtonMail email. You can password protect emails with this free service. You can also watch youtube on how to encrypt Gmail but I'm not bothering. I guess it depends on what you are sending via email but I don't worry about it. I am really happy with Gmail and is my preferred email service untill I hear any that's worrying. Not heard anything worrying yet

There's lots to worry about, not least the freedom of the net.

Putting aside the fact governments need to control the masses, there's also those preferred bidder types who see the net as nothing less than an easy source of income.

It doesn't take a lot of thinking to imagine how the net shall look in the future - and it certainly won't be anywhere near as good as it was.

Won't quite be run along North Korean lines, but it shall undoubtedly be of that ilk, albeit a much lesser version, biggest difference being peeps paying for it.
Bobbajob4th Jul

https://myaccount.google.com/intro/security-checkupIf you go here you can …https://myaccount.google.com/intro/security-checkupIf you go here you can see what apps you have given permission to access your Google account under Third Party Access and remove their permission.

thanks alot for that link i only have osx for my mac calender
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants