New build pc underperforming

Posted 4th Apr 2023
I’ve just rebuilt my pc and pretty much the only things I’ve changed are my cpu,motherboard,case and cpu cooler but I think the pc is now running a little slower.
The cpu and motherboard I had before were an intel i7-7700K 4.2 GHz QuadCore and motherboard was an ASUS PRIME H270.
Now I have an i7-13700K and a MSI MAG Z690 TOMAHAWK motherboard.The cpu cooIer I had was a liquid one but I now have a simple heat pipe cooler.My ram is unchanged from 32gb (2x8gb) patriot ddr4 and my psu is 950w Corsair.My GPU is a Sapphire AMD RX480 Nitro+ 8 GB GDDR5.
I changed it because when running photoshop it wasn’t letting me apply Neural filters to photos and was very old anyway but I’m still having these same issues.When I want to preview a large raw file it seems to be taking longer than before and generally doesn’t feel like there’s any change for the better.
I ran a benchmark test and the cpu was underperforming by a long way.
Any help or ideas would be very much appreciated.
Thanks
Community Updates
New Comment

16 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Check your stats when running a benchmark and you should get an indicator.
    Is ram running full speed?
    Is cpu running full speed on cores?
    Is cpu or gpu thermal throttling as too hot (e.g. Badly applied thermal paste on cpu, poor fan orientation in case etc)
    Is the ram running at full speed? Is xmp on in the bios? Have you put them in the correct slots according to the manual?
    clarify the memory?

2x8gb is 16gb not 32?

win 11?
    ssd?

I agree with memory setup is the most likely culprit.
    Author
    Sorry I meant 2x16. I shall look into it .Thanks
    Have you got the RAM 1&2 or 3&4?

I think the first stick is supposed to go into the 2nd slot from the processor & second stick in the furthest slot.

And as above, I take it you have put paste on the cpu. (edited)
    Isn't the rx480 a bottleneck for the cpu? Won't explain why it's running slower though.
    Looks like that motherboard only got compatibility with that CPU half way through it's life (BIOS v17 released July last year) so it's worth checking which BIOS version you have.

The next step is to identify why the CPU is underperforming. It could potentially be a heat issue, although assuming your 'simple heat pipe cooler' is a standard tower style one with a 120mm or 140mm fan then it's likely to be installation issues rather than an inadaquate cooler.

When the CPU is busy processing something then where is the clock speed sitting?
    I skim read the OP when out walking and didn't even realise the CPU had been swapped out until now...
    Author
    Thanks everyone.I’ll look at it again and I’ll post again
    depends if photoshop uses all those extra cores really or prefers individual core speed.. the 7700k is still a very capable cpu.

youre going from 4 cores at 4.2ghz with a turbo of 5ghz

to 16 cores at 3.4ghz with a turbo of 5.4ghz

if its not making use of those extra cores youll have a very minimal performance increase. and if its not using the turbo then youre going backwards!

i wouldnt be surprised if your perception of a slower pc is due to the lower clock speed of the cores..

im not familar with neural filters but a quick google says its from nvidia.. youve got an AMD graphics card and not a particular modern one either. you probably would have been better off keeping your pc as it was and getting an RTX graphics card for the budget..

one other thing, what hard drive do you have? im assuming you have an SSD drive?? preferably an M2 NVME one... you would see a more noticeable performance increase in every day use with a faster drive.
    If you got 2 sticks of RAM put them in slot 2 & 4 (1 being closest to your CPU).
    Author
    Thanks for all your replies.The new motherboard has been updated btw.
    I’m using an m.2 ssd too.
    The Ram sticks were in the correct slots and I went into the bios and increased the ram to the advertised value of 3000.I even tried a new set of ram at 3200 mhz and it still didn’t work.The only thing I couldn’t fathom in the bios it had values with G1,G2 next to them.Tried both but didnt work.As a last resort I have a newer graphics card coming later. An AISURIX Radeon RX 580.If that doesn’t work then I don’t know what to do really. (edited)
    Author
    Think I’ve sorted it.It looks like it was my GPU after all.
    The downside of it all is that it looks like I’ve wasted best part of £800 on upgrades I didn’t need
    The downside of it all is that it looks like I’ve wasted best part of £800 on upgrades I didn’t need
    How do you figure? With your new bits, you're looking at something in the region of a 3x Photoshop performance uplift (and yeah, ignore the fella telling you the new stuff has a performance regression compared to your old - you can't compare cores and clocks the way he seems to think), with a more secure archtecture, with better power efficiency, and support for Win11 and the upcoming Win12. Plus, it works, which won't necessarily be the case for the old 7700k rig for long, given its advancing years. You haven't done too badly here.
's avatar