Passport Query

Posted 10th Mar 2012
Filling out my little ones passport application and it says "Country of Birth (including UK)"

Do I write "Scotland" or "United Kingdom"

As I thought it would be United Kingdom as its not a Scottish passport

Opinions please
Community Updates
New Comment

35 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    You can put Scotland - it makes no difference. Lots of people in England write England. British passports seem to be given out to anyone in Africa and Asia so putting down Scotland is hardly going to make a difference.
    Author
    Or would it be "Scotland, United Kingdom"
    As its a "united kingdom of great britain and northern ireland" passport you should put united kingdom imo

Hopefully there will never be a "scottish passport"
    Cant your bf/hubby (little one) fill it out himself!
    crazyblondechick

Nah from the town o the Smokies lol

Oops, close but not good enough for a cigar
    look ,your kid was born in scotland "yes scotland is a country" so you write scotland......its not hard is it?
    Author
    Scotland
    Author
    United Kingdom
    Scotland, obviously.
    crazyblondechick

Or would it be "Scotland, United Kingdom"

Thats what id put Scotland, UK
    Author
    I already wrote United Kingdom you see, then I read the whole bit. Think I may need to get another application form lol
    Scotland, as United Kingdom isn't a country! oO
    Is Scotland a country ? Or is the UK a country or Britain...i put the UK myself in my daughters as i thought that would be safest..when i did the check and send at the post office they didn't say i had to put England in so UK will work.

he United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland[nb 5] (commonly known as the United Kingdom, the UK or Britain) is a sovereign state located off the north-western coast of continental Europe. The country includes the island of Great Britain, the north-eastern part of the island of Ireland and many smaller islands. Northern Ireland is the only part of the UK that shares a land border with another sovereign state—the Republic of Ireland. Apart from this land border the UK is surrounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the North Sea, the English Channel and the Irish Sea.

The United Kingdom is a unitary state governed under a constitutional monarchy and a parliamentary system, with its seat of government in the capital city of London. It is a country in its own right[10][11] and consists of four countries: England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.[12] There are three devolved national administrations, each with varying powers,[13][14] based in Belfast, Cardiff and Edinburgh, the capitals of Northern Ireland, Wales and Scotland respectively. Associated with the UK, but not constitutionally part of it, are three Crown Dependencies.[15] The United Kingdom has fourteen overseas territories.[16] These are remnants of the British Empire which, at its height in 1922, encompassed almost a quarter of the world's land surface and was the largest empire in history. British influence can still be observed in the language, culture and legal systems of many of its former territories.

The UK is a developed country and has the world's sixth-largest economy by nominal GDP and seventh-largest economy by purchasing power parity. It was the world's first industrialised country[17] and the world's foremost power during the 19th and early 20th centuries.[18] The UK remains a great power with leading economic, cultural, military, scientific and political influence.[19] It is a recognised nuclear weapons state and its military expenditure ranks third or fourth in the world.[20] The UK has been a permanent member of the United Nations Security Council since its first session in 1946; it is also a member of the Commonwealth of Nations, the Council of Europe, the European Union, the G7, the G8, the G20, NATO, the OECD and the World Trade Organization.
    (edited)
    jase.2

As its a "united kingdom of great britain and northern ireland" passport … As its a "united kingdom of great britain and northern ireland" passport you should put united kingdom imoHopefully there will never be a "scottish passport"

This, I just wrote it then deleted it when I saw it.
    [image missing]

Reading below it sounds pretty cool where we live, doesn't it?

The UK is a developed country and has the world's sixth-largest economy by nominal GDP and seventh-largest economy by purchasing power parity. It was the world's first industrialised country[17] and the world's foremost power during the 19th and early 20th centuries.[18] The UK remains a great power with leading economic, cultural, military, scientific and political influence.[19] It is a recognised nuclear weapons state and its military expenditure ranks third or fourth in the world.[20] The UK has been a permanent member of the United Nations Security Council since its first session in 1946; it is also a member of the Commonwealth of Nations, the Council of Europe, the European Union, the G7, the G8, the G20, NATO, the OECD and the World Trade Organization.
    Author
    jellybaby22

Your supposed to put uk...not Scotland.....There is a helpline you can … Your supposed to put uk...not Scotland.....There is a helpline you can call though if your not sure.

Cheers Jellybaby, didnt know this, will try and call them tomorrow as doubt offices will be open now lol.
    jellybaby22

Your supposed to put uk...not Scotland.....There is a helpline you can … Your supposed to put uk...not Scotland.....There is a helpline you can call though if your not sure.

But the UK isn't a country. Surely the country of birth is Scotland
    Author
    mmmmm confused.com

will call them tomorrow and see what they say

hopefully they say United Kingdom so I dont need to start a new form haha
    sancho1983

But it's a UK passport, not an English, Welsh, Northern Irish or Scottish passport.
    (edited)
    sancho1983

Seems who's list you use. The UN seems to think the UK is a country. I'm sticking with FIFA! X)
    PDF guide on filling out a passport
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/documents/digitalasset/dg_184487.pdf

Page 14 "if you were born or adopted in the UK"
    I am also doing a renewal for me and kids and it asks for parents passport number , does this mean the passport that has now ran out or does it mean if if its a valid one ( as mine has ran out so i am applying for a new one also ) bloody expensive too , lol..
    Author
    So should I write Britain then?? lol
    Paddy_o_furniture

But it's a UK passport, not an English, Welsh, Northern Irish or Scottish … But it's a UK passport, not an English, Welsh, Northern Irish or Scottish passport.

Well I'm presuming the people who process the applications will realise that Scotland is a country in the UK

I shouldn't think it would matter as it will just be some sort of statistic they will hold about percentages of UK passport holders from the countries within it.

People who put 'uk' as their country of birth will be put into the category "can't read forms'
    Are you not n the kingdom of fife?
    Author
    AberdeenDad

Are you not n the kingdom of fife?

Nah from the town o the Smokies lol
    You can put either. I've seen passports with UK and Scotland/England/whatever on them.
    Author
    My nationality would that be British? I know it's a silly question but don't want to get it wrong haha
    crazyblondechick

My nationality would that be British? I know it's a silly question but … My nationality would that be British? I know it's a silly question but don't want to get it wrong haha

That's what I would go for.
    Country of birth Scotland, Nationality (currently) British, Arbroathian if you ask me! It's all confusing.
    crazyblondechick

My nationality would that be British? I know it's a silly question but … My nationality would that be British? I know it's a silly question but don't want to get it wrong haha

You could put Either British, Englander, Scotsman or Miner depending on which part of Brittany you hail from.
    Author
    Well when I phoned and asked I was told I could write either as it didn't matter. So phewf, no new forms needed
    I'd have just bet each way and put both
    i put England for the kiddies,

but i find it best to fill it ou online and then th4y send u the form all u do is get the picture bit done
's avatar
Top Merchants