Unwell dog won't eat anything whatsoever. What else to try?

Posted 15th May 2016
Hi all,

EDIT: HE HAS FINALLY EATEN!!!!!

On Thursday night, my dog vomited then collapsed and we rushed him straight to the vet. He was diagnosed with Geriatric Vestibular Syndrome which is similar to a stroke and was admitted overnight but came home at 5pm the next day. Since then, he's got LOADS better. His balance and co-ordination are probably 60-70% better than they were. He's brighter in himself and this morning, he walked competently and confidently into the garden and back with barely a wobble or paw out of place.

One problem. He hasn't eaten a single thing since Thursday teatime, and his dinner that evening came back up when he was sick so really, he's not had anything since Thursday breakfast. I phoned the vet for advice yesterday and they said to try tuna in spring water, any human meats or chicken soup/broth which he can lap.

I don't have any chicken soup or broth (I can try making some as I have chicken breasts) and I can't go out to get some because I can't leave him. I'm just putting together an online order from Asda and hope to have these things delivered in the next day or two. I have small tins of tuna, but in brine. I opened a tin this morning and gave it a good wash then offered it to him but he's not interested at all. I put a tiny bit in his mouth and he swallowed it but he hates being 'force-fed' and I don't want him to associate food with being force-fed or it'll make him less inclined to eat. However, if I have to force-feed him to get SOME nutrition into him, I will.

Tomorrow, I'm going to ask the vet for an appetite stimulant such as Mirtazepine and something to either add to his water for some nutrients or something a bit more solid to feed him.

Other things I've tried are:

Dry dog food
Wet dog food
Smoked ham
Warm, freshly cooked chicken
Warm, freshly cooked sausage
Dog treats
Scrambled egg
Dentastix - he loves them normally!

Today I'm going to try:

Making mushed up chicken broth
Smoked salmon fillet
A small piece of warm beef

Does anyone else have any ideas on what I can try feeding him please?
Community Updates
Ask
Discussions
43 Comments
Post a comment