Using my laptop as a screen to play my PS5

Posted 22nd Aug 2023
I could use remote play but I wanted to ask if this could be possible.

Plugging up my PS5 to my laptop via HDMI, however I’m aware that won’t work at all as my laptop’s HDMI port is output which is typical.

How could I go about this? I’m trying to look for USB C to hdmi in dongles but no avail.
Community Updates
New Comment

7 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    There are very few laptops that support HDMI input, using a capture card will introduce too much latency to make it competative online and probably too laggy for single player use.
    Why are you trying to do this?
    I would expect a capture card would do what you want;

amazon.co.uk/Cap…h=1

But depending on the quality of the card you might be dealing with reduced resolution, latency etc. You might have to go up a fair bit in budget, by which time a remote play connection becomes preferable.
    DP Alt mode for USB (which that uses with a DP to HDMI converter tacked on) is typically also only implemented as output. (edited)
    If you're just wanting a compact display, grab yourself something like this instead: amazon.co.uk/Por…VHK

You'll get them cheaper if you shop around. It's a more costly option, but a far better one, since you'll lose no resolution and quality, and gain no additional latency. Plus, if elegance is a concern, you should be able to power it (or other similar models) from the PS5's USB ports, saving some wall plugs and cabling.
    You may have lag doing this. Grab a monitor
's avatar